swanzilla

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Chicago
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Yesterday, while doing tank maintenance, I noticed on of my red-faced severums had a gash on it's forehead. It didn't seem to be acting weird or anything, so I thought maybe he just swam into an ornament. Today, while feeding, I noticed it looked much worse, and he has "growths" on him. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with any of the other fish in the tank.

20210511_200144.jpg

20210511_200139.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d check ur water parameters. Make sure tank is cycled and nitrates are below 20ppm. Would get a liquid test kit. I’d dose some triple sulfa or maracyn2 and together with api fungus cure.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It likely got injured by a decoration or another fish. It currently has popeye and a fungal infection. Do what kno4te kno4te suggested.

Reactions: Bbuckley

swanzilla

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Chicago
Would melafix work instead of the maracyn two? It looks like I would have to order the maracyn, and it won't be here until tomorrow. I can run up to PetSmart to get the melafix. I've seen conflicting reports on whether the melafix will treat popeye.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would melafix work instead of the maracyn two? It looks like I would have to order the maracyn, and it won't be here until tomorrow. I can run up to PetSmart to get the melafix. I've seen conflicting reports on whether the melafix will treat popeye.
Melafix won’t work.

Reactions: deeda

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
So sorry to hear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store