Help needed to take good photos...

jtheuma

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Malta
I'm new here well done for this forum. My name is Jonathan and come from Malta. My main hobby is fish keeping and breeding. I have a fishroom which at the moment has about 30 aquaria running ( it will hold over 75 in the near future)

As many of you know when you have a nice fish you try to take photos of it but I can't find the correct setting for my Canon SX210 IS. Maybe someone has the same camera and can help me out. The problems are mainly blurred fish because they keep moving and incorrect lights.

Any technical ideas which you think might improve my photos will be helpful.

Jonathan

xander

Manjuari
Staff member
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
if your problem is blurred images then increasing the speed of your shutter speed will help. what settings are you using?

jtheuma

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Malta
Not always the same, I still can't find the proper settings. If I increase the shutter speed I have to increase the lights on the aquarium right? And do you use flash when taking photos of the fish in an aquarium?

xander

Manjuari
Staff member
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore

jtheuma

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Malta
Ok thanks very much for your prompt reply. I will try with those settings. And regards AWB which is a light setting with options:
day light,cloudy etc... I think I have to select fluorescent no? because of the aquarium lightning.

I think I will set up a photography tank in the near future so that the fish will be to the front of the front glass.

greenterra

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Auto white balance is usually pretty good. I would only go changing that if your photos look off. That is something easily rectified though in post production with the software usually supplied with most cameras. If you don't have an overhead flash. Throw every available light source(tank lights etc) you have above the tank you want to shoot.

xander

Manjuari
Staff member
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
greenterra;115148; said:
Auto white balance is usually pretty good. I would only go changing that if your photos look off. That is something easily rectified though in post production with the software usually supplied with most cameras. If you don't have an overhead flash. Throw every available light source(tank lights etc) you have above the tank you want to shoot.
x2. although if you don't have overhead flashes, do your best to remove all, and i really do mean ALL sources of light outside of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store