Help! Newbie w/ Baby Silver Arowana.

AnaworaNeophyte

Feeder Fish
Nov 2, 2017
Hi, MFK fam! I'm a newbie with silver arowanas. And the one that I recenly bought died just today. He lasted only a week. He was swimming head down and sometimes just stays sidedown but still breathing. But when I put my finger in the water it swims right away. While the fish was at that stage, I transferred him right away to a smaller tank with epsom salt and aged water. Though, He still didn't make it. Don't know if that was a swim bladder or what caused for it to die.

My silver aro size was 3.5" 1st tank he was in was 48" x16x16" with OHF and 4 small size mollies. Hope someone can give me an advise on how to take care with baby silver aro. TIA

haomarhu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2017
Philippines
Hi bro! As per experience and basically keeping large fish, aro need lots of space! length and width to be exact, depth not really an issue. On feeding, aro's are carnivores, give them high protein diet. They are somehow hardy fishes, just regular water change will do and keep a lid on your tank 'coz they jump like crazy!

Reactions: tlindsey

fishon555

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Culver City
Use water conditioner, 80-83° Water temp. If fish is sick better to medicate in tank it's in if water is good, less stress. If not eating try different foods and small aros are more delicate than larger ones. Try to find one at 6".

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with fishon555 fishon555 Arowana that small are extremely fragile would advise never put in an aquarium with boisterous tankmates at that size and it is crucial you get them to eat preferably floating freeze dried food I've started them to eat with freeze dried Tubifex worms. After they take the Tubifex worms I would start offering other more nutritional foods such as small shrimp Mysis for example or live quarantined Guppy,Molly, Swordtail, or Platy fry only in a small aquarium though. Aro's will grow fast and you can offer larger food items then.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi bro! As per experience and basically keeping large fish, aro need lots of space! length and width to be exact, depth not really an issue. On feeding, aro's are carnivores, give them high protein diet. They are somehow hardy fishes, just regular water change will do and keep a lid on your tank 'coz they jump like crazy!

I agree they are natural jumpers instinctively also minimum 8×3×3 or larger aquarium for life.

Reactions: haomarhu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store