Help please

NadsF

Feeder Fish
Oct 12, 2011
Rugby
Hi all,

Not posted for a while, but just invested in a Canon 60D (upgraded from 20D) and playing about.

This is about as good as I can get at the moment and could do with some advice on how to bring out the fish better without burning out the lighter colours.

I am using an overhead flash (380ex) mounted on a tripod above the tank.

Lens is 60mm and settings as follows;

F25
1/125s
ISO 100
Exposure bias 0
Metering mode spot

Any advice greatfully received

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Hey Nadine. I would bring your shutter speed up to 1/200th to eliminate any movement blur and adjust your aperture/f-stop to suit. The biggest problem I see in this shot is the flash placement in regards to the subject. The fish looks to be well and truly in front of the background rock yet the rock is better illuminated. You need to move the flash further forward so it is in front of the subject, not directly above or slightly behind. This will allow light to reach the lower half of the fish and better eliminate the contrasty shadows. Once you get the flash placement right, the darker areas will be lit better enabling you to adjust the settings to suit the highlights.

NadsF

Feeder Fish
Oct 12, 2011
Rugby
Thanks for that. Will see if I can angle the flash in a different way, issue is the tank is a bow front so limited on area to take shots that are free from distortion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store