HELP! Pleco is dying!!

ttt0649

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Arlington,Tx
So, i wake up this morning see my pleco just floating very abnormally. What is wrong with him? I added melafix and took out the carbon filter media. His body is stuck in this shape and he is just floating without any motions but I can see him breathing.

What couldve cause this?? He was perfectly fine the other day.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Might be bloated up 'cause of bad water/improper food. What have you been feeding it? Give it some peas to eat. Maybe put it in a quarentine tank and treat for bloat if you think that is it, it's hard to tell with the pic. It looks like it's nearer the back it has a problem, maybe swim bladder...

ttt0649

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Arlington,Tx
I only feed him 1 algae waffer every other day. The water temperatue of the tank is 80-84 and my Flowerhorn sometimes chases it around but not too often. Is it because of heat and stressed?? i will get better pics!

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
What are your water conditions?

I have seen them get 'seizures' and float like that from poor water quality.

You could try a largish (50%) water change and see if that perks him up? It should do no harm anyway.

Good luck.

Ian

ttt0649

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Arlington,Tx
water quality is good, i do a 30% water change every week. I got a whisper filter and emperor 400 on the 55 gallon. Its just him and the flowerhorn by themselves. Could be from stressed? The flowerhorn usually picks on him and chases him around. The water is also crystal clear.

hes gone though...

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Bummer :(

Sorry I dont know what would have caused that, it does't look bloated in the picture and they usually can handle all but the most agressive tankmates. :confused:

Ian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store