Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
61-70%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
About 2 days ago my main male Rainbowfish wasn’t himself, his fins were close to his body he was swimming on spot towards a corner of the tank I could instantly tell something was off. He wasn’t showing off to all the females and keeping the other males in check and he was very bleached out, something was definitely wrong. I threw in food he showed interest but didn’t go up and eat, On closer inspection I noticed it’s barely visible (at the time) but when he’s looking towards you on his sides was a slim white/clear film, after these symptoms and a bit of research online I came to the conclusion that it has to be either Columnaris or velvet. I went to the LFS and picked up Red Sea Rally did a dose on the main display turned down temperature and gave the male a saltwater dip, today he looks worse very washed out and the film was alot more noticeable you can just barely see it now when looking at his sides. The only new things to the tank are 3 clouded archerfish who were in quarantine for a couple days but since nothing looked wrong with them, and they were eating every time I offered food I put them into the main tank. The tank is 75 gallons, pH 7.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 5, and temp was around 80 but over 2 days dropped down to 76. Currently there are 11 rainbows (only 2 inches right now bought them as fry and am growing them up to get a good male to female ratio), Small three beacon pleco, 3 clouded archers, 4 bristlenose, and 1 sunshine pleco (Holding onto for a friend until the weekend), and a small panda Garra. Should I separate the rainbow into a quarantine tank? He looks a lot worse today and I’m not sure what to do any suggestions?.

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
He’s has coloured up during the day while I was away, I also forgot to mention he’s been swimming very erratically aswell.
This is him when I first got him vs him now

09429E1D-7EB7-40ED-9FF1-C8ED9D118B7F.jpeg

DEAD3EE3-EEE2-45A7-8FAF-D5382B3F487F.jpeg

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
Today he’s back to normal colour but now he has started swimming in circles and is aggressive and chases the other rainbows that get in the way of his circle then goes right back to doing it now it’s much more easily visible the white stuff on his sides

0467FE92-99CC-434C-B168-D26992838B7A.jpeg

B6045331-CB46-49B8-AD58-E69831C510EC.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My best guess is some kind of fungal infection. All those spots in one place makes it not look like ich or velvet. Could be early Columnaris but I’m pretty sure that attacks the gills and mouth first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store