Help rid parasites

moespeaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
Massachusetts
I have a 38 with a 8" rhino pleco, 4" red tail shark, 2 bumble bee catfish, wolf goby, and a 6" senegalus. I knew they had parasites as their feces color and consistency have been off lately. But doing a water change yesterday I could actually see small worms and what looked to be small red bugs in the bottom of the bucket I used. Ive just finished treating with praziquantel with no success. Copper also seems to have no effect. Did two treatments and still see worms. The red tail shark scratches a lot but with no signs of ich or velvet. The senegalus feces is usualy white or white and clear.

Whats the best way to rid these parasites for good?

I also have this problem in my 60 gallon Housing 5 giant danios, a pictus catfish, clown pleco but also houses a red ear slider and a map turtle. I would also want to treat my Dovii tank to be safe as I feel he may have parasites too.

I should mention everything is eating well and and otherwise seem healthy.

vfc

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Philadelphia
Which Copper based solution did you use? Aquasol is too weak; try CopperSafe. I picked up a bad external parasite problem a few months ago. I have similar symptoms,; loss of color, fish flashing, fish hidding, and some fish just stopped eating. When I put the first dose of CopperSafe in the tank, it cured my favorite fish in 5 minutes!. Apparently there was a parasite inside his mouth or gills, and the copper must have caused it to detach. Within minutes, the fish was eating. I had a visible parasite on the outside gill of my Bala Shark. That was gone the next day. By the end of the 30 day treatment, all fish were fine (not a single loss).

Good luck!

moespeaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
Massachusetts
yea I acutaly just dosed coppersafe in the 38 and the red tail shark after months of scratching seems to of stop and looks much better. The thing is, I feel they have internal parasites so the copper does not kill whats inside them only the parasites they shed. Any advice on ridding the internal parasites?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Treat all of your tanks with the Coppersafe for now. It won't hurt. Also, the fish will absorb some of it to help kill the internal worms.

It sounds like you may have Camellanus (nematodes). Look carefully for worms hanging from the vent of any of your fish. Also look for a full belly at the lower intestines (camel anus). At your next cleaning, take some of the worms and put them in tap water. The chlorine will not kill nematodes.

I have used every medication that is available at all of my LFS's and none of them worked. Then I found out about Levamisil Hydrochloride, a hog wormer. The nematodes will drop out after two days of treatment. It will make your fish vomit everything they have eaten in the last two days so be prepared. Also, there is some medicated food with Levamisil Hydrochloride in it. Before you buy it thinking that it is what you are looking for, read the vomiting problem again. And I got some of that food that I can sell you really cheap :naughty:

barley pop

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2006
IL
CHOMPERS;875622; said:
Treat all of your tanks with the Coppersafe for now. It won't hurt. Also, the fish will absorb some of it to help kill the internal worms.

It sounds like you may have Camellanus (nematodes). Look carefully for worms hanging from the vent of any of your fish. Also look for a full belly at the lower intestines (camel anus). At your next cleaning, take some of the worms and put them in tap water. The chlorine will not kill nematodes.

I have used every medication that is available at all of my LFS's and none of them worked. Then I found out about Levamisil Hydrochloride, a hog wormer. The nematodes will drop out after two days of treatment. It will make your fish vomit everything they have eaten in the last two days so be prepared. Also, there is some medicated food with Levamisil Hydrochloride in it. Before you buy it thinking that it is what you are looking for, read the vomiting problem again. And I got some of that food that I can sell you really cheap :naughty:

where did you get this suff and how do you use it????

where can i get some?????

if it is a hog wormer arn't most of those in paste form ???

thanks for the info

barley pop

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2006
IL
thanks for the info... how do you use it ?? the direction on the web site talks about body weight??? just wondering.

moespeaking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
Massachusetts
I have still yet to see any worms hanging from the fish's anus so Im not possitive its nematodes, whatever it is the chlorine doesnt kill it and even with the copper I am still noticing worms and real tiny fast moving what appear to be small bugs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store