HELP stingray has white poop and not active

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
hi im very new to this forum and im not english im from hollond so excuse for bad talking. im 16 and got around three weeks a hybrid stingray. i have made a big mistake by keeping it in a not good cycled tank and it would not eat. first i didnt know this. after 5 days i did a big water change and it was eating. then i tested the water and saw nitrite and problaby a lot of amonia but i cant test that. so i did daily 70% water changes to keep him eating and not heavy breathing. but doing so isnt good for the ray so after putting in a difider in my other tank that was running for over 1.5 year and put him in that. he has been in bad water for 9 days and got very skinny. now in the good tank he is always hidding breathing heavy got some amonia burns from the past tank but nothing to much. he is only eating in the late evening at around 10 pm then he goes out of the sand and will swim very active all night. the problem that im having is that he isnt getting fat. im feeding him chopped up fish and i know he is eating quit a bit of it. i saw only once his poop and it was white. so im afraid of paracite. i have read sooo many threads but every body saying something else. so im making my owne one now. he is about 16cm or 6". what should i do? im really woried if this one dies my parents dont allow me to get another one. should i treat him with prezi or metro or epson salt or just leave him alone a bit. i can see he is very stressed. he has bin in this tank for about 1.5 week. nothing is changing. he isnt getting fatter or losing weight. i maybe thought his gills are burned from amonia thats why hes heavy breathing but now i saw white poop. also he didnt hide in the tank with the bad water it was a very good looking active ray and now he is barely moving in the good tank.

i could really use some help with this. this is my first ray and ive been keeping tanks for the past 8 years.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How big is ur tank? What’s ur filtration? I think you need to get ur water quality in check ASAP. Lack of eating will also make the stool what u describe. I wouldn’t suggest meds due to the ray not doing so well just yet. Can u get help to add a drip line to the tank? Give it clean water and u need to do daily water changes till the ray gets better.

If the ray dies then learn from this and keep fish you can keep. Research prior to buying any fish. See if it’s in ur ability to keep a ray, an example.

Sorry for u and the fish.

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
How big is ur tank? What’s ur filtration? I think you need to get ur water quality in check ASAP. Lack of eating will also make the stool what u describe. I wouldn’t suggest meds due to the ray not doing so well just yet. Can u get help to add a drip line to the tank? Give it clean water and u need to do daily water changes till the ray gets better.

If the ray dies then learn from this and keep fish you can keep. Research prior to buying any fish. See if it’s in ur ability to keep a ray, an example.

Sorry for u and the fish.
well i did many ressearch. i thought my tank was cycled but it wasnt.hes now in a 75 gallon with an eheim profecional 4plus. im getting him as soon as posible an 125 gallon. i cant add an drip line to it. okay so im going to do daily water change. is 50% good? i always do many research of my fish i buy and i dont trust my fish store. it was just a stupid mistake of me and i learned from it. thanks for responding so quikly

Reactions: Jexnell

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Well if you plan on keeping the fish. I’d suggest a cheap pool or a 300g instead of the 125g. The 125g will have similar problems with water quality also the ray likely will need a larger tank space. Would check ur water and do the water changes accordingly but I’d do 50% daily. More if the numbers are off.

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
Well if you plan on keeping the fish. I’d suggest a cheap pool or a 300g instead of the 125g. The 125g will have similar problems with water quality also the ray likely will need a larger tank space. Would check ur water and do the water changes accordingly but I’d do 50% daily. More if the numbers are off.
i know a 125 is to small but its a grow out tank. i will get a larger tank when he is bigger. the water is now very nice and healty only thing is nitrate is a bit to high but would this be causing the stress? its about 40

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I agree with everything that Ron has said here.

Have you tried feeding it worms? Earthworms or wigglers or whatever you have available? Just make sure you rinse them with really warm to hot water to get the slime coat off of them. If they slime it can cause a really bad taste and the ray will spit it out. Worms are a favourite food for rays and you need to get it some food ASAP. Once it is eating then you can worry about meds.

I have heard metro is not good for rays but prazi is ok. I have never had to use either so I am only repeating what I have been told by friends who have been keeping rays for many years.

Reactions: kno4te

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
maybe i wasnt clear because my writing is very bad. he is eating very good every evening. only once a day because he will only eat when it is evening. i will give him as much as he will eat. but still then he is eating acording to me very much and still he isnt getting fatter but he isnt getting more skinny. do you guys inderstand? im really trying my best english

Reactions: batang_mcdo

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
maybe i wasnt clear because my writing is very bad. he is eating very good every evening. only once a day because he will only eat when it is evening. i will give him as much as he will eat. but still then he is eating acording to me very much and still he isnt getting fatter but he isnt getting more skinny. do you guys inderstand? im really trying my best english
English is fine. We got the picture.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store