HELP. STOCKING 105g

Fish_tank_dude_96

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
I have a 105 gallon tank that is 48x24x24. I have recently learned that some of the fish I have in my tank will eventually out grow the tank (by a lot ) so I am looking to restart fresh with this tank! I would like to go down the route of communal colorful fish because it's somthing I've never done before. I'm open to all suggestions. Please let me know what you think is good! ( I don't want to get a bigger tank yet but will be getting around a 400 G later on. 2-3 years.) thank you.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
By communal colorful fish do you mean ones with minimal aggression, eg no cichlids (except maybe dwarves?)

Is there anything that really appeals to you or you'd like to make work?

Fish_tank_dude_96

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
By communal colorful fish do you mean ones with minimal aggression, eg no cichlids (except maybe dwarves?)

By that I mean fish that can get along together. Any type of cichlids works I want the tank to have constant movement. I have a JD now but is way to aggressive and territorial to put anything else in that's not already been in the tank prior to him. I'm honestly open for any suggestions. I've lost multiple fish ( aro , alligator gar, etc ) and I am tryin to avoid casualties / selling them because of size issues.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Fish_tank_dude_96

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017

I like the way schools of fish look, but also don't want super small fish in schools. more of a medium size. I don't mind getting feeders and I also don't mind doing dry foods or frozen.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
You have a lot of options in a tank that size. Also I checked the tank calculator on this very site and 4x2x2=120 gallons. Just so you know :)

Salvini and Thorichthys is a really striking combination that is colorful and very beautiful.There are a lot of striking Mbuna out there that you could stuff that tank with. Cryptoheros with some congo tetra. Oscura Heterospilus with some Bichir, the possibilities are endless.

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
If you can keep up with the maintenance, maybe discus.
no offense to him at all, but if an alligator gar and and Arowana died I think discuss would be a bad idea.

maybe a large school of cichlids if thats what you're into, but you may just run into the same aggression problems! Congo tetras are cool (max out at about 4in), silver dollars,servums, scats. I personally like oddballs more so I would be better at suggesting those.

Fish_tank_dude_96

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
My alligator gar never died nor did my Flordia spotted gar, oscar. I had to get rid of them for size reasons. They simply just got to big! My aro was different. I left the tank lid open at night and he jumped out. Came down stairs and he was on the floor dead. Got a new aro put him in and my Dempsey beat him to death. Also I have 1, 75 gallon tank with turtles and a 30 gallon tank with a DISCUS and clown loach. I am very capable of keeping up with water quality etc. I just have issues mixing the wrong fish together. Need to get that right for a happy tank. Thank you for all your suggestions!! Keep them coming I love it.

jonah h2o

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
san diego California
oh sorry I assume lost meant died, and don't get me wrong discus are beautiful fish as you know they require some work! especially in a large school. are you wanting mostly schooling fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store