Help! Unidenifiable substance

Petrella88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
Chicago
I have had a tank set up for a few months, Im pretty new to aquaria but I read alot and spend alot of time on MFK or in my LFS. Nobody at my LFS can figure out what is growing on my driftwood so I turned to my fellow MFK'ers

I tried a Fungal tablet and it turned everything cloudy and green and it is starting to go away but the Fungi was unharmed

I attempted to scrape the fungi off while in the tank and it made a mess so I make a few quick swoops with my fish net and picked it up

I would like to boil, bleach or at least give a good scrubbing with a wire brush but I Rafael wont come out of the holes

Im worried about bleaching due to the fact that wood is porous and may hold bleach

I had 2 LFS test my water and the only conclusion is that my water levels are fine with Nitrates just barely a sliver higher than ideal I have also brought samples of the unknown substance to all LFS in my area with no conclusion as to what it is however very mixed results as to weather or not it is dangerous, soon to be problimatic, or just a bit of an eyesore

Thank you all for reading

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

portabuddy

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
mississauga
i bleached 3 logs because of my red algea problem. it worked well, except that it turned the water red, took out the tannons. i left it for a week. then i washed the wood and cleaned off all the dead algea with a brush.

Then in the same bucket i filled it with water and de-chlorenator. the stuff i use for my water changes. and left it for another week. came back to it and the water smelled nutral, mucky like a swamp but that was to be expected. then i sculded it with hot water and dried it off. once dry all the beach is 100% de-acticated... but this did take a month, ok a total of 3 hours stretched over a month.

But it worked well...

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
it is a swamp fungus only growing on wood in deep muddy swamps boil and scrub the wood first get the fish out of the wood and then boil and scrub the wood for three days then let it dry out for three days then bleach it four two days and rinse it and soak it for four more days then let it dry again for two days then rinse it off before putting it in ur tank

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
cudamaster13;2461635; said:
it is a swamp fungus only growing on wood in deep muddy swamps boil and scrub the wood first get the fish out of the wood and then boil and scrub the wood for three days then let it dry out for three days then bleach it four two days and rinse it and soak it for four more days then let it dry again for two days then rinse it off before putting it in ur tank
this fungus only grows in very dark envirments that are very muddy and swampy are u useing cypress becuase if it is then boil and scrub it and put it in the sun and try to bleach it and boil it more

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
how long has the wood been in the tank?
you say your tank has been set up for a few months but how many months?

i only ask as its normal on newly introduced wood when the wood has been dry and then soaked for tank use, and it can take a while but it does go away. its a harmless fungus. just syphon it off when you do a water change.
i have never had it on wood called mangrove root which i use now, it comes in a sealed bag and pre-soaked, you just rinse in cold water and put it in the tank. i have had this fungus grow on every bit of dry bogwood and dry mopani wood i have ever bought.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
its its like a white "film" looking substance then all I did was remove the piece and scrub with a wire brush, voila, no more substance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store