Help w/ shutter speed setting on D90

MyJohnson

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
Houston
I'm have issues with adjusting the shutter speed on my D90.

I can adjust the shutter speed at all levels when I don't have the flash on. But when I have pop-up flash on the fastest shutter speed I can get is 1/200.

I need it to be faster to capture fast moving fishes but can't change the shutter speed setting.

bulldogg7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
north carolina
www.bullmanphoto.com
Flash sync
1/200 is often the highest you can go with onboard flash.
You really have 2 shutters, at high shutter speeds, they form a slit in between them. With the flash on you'll get a picture of either one or even both of the shutters with only the "slit" being lit up
http://www.penmachine.com/2008/09/camera-works-shutters-flashes-and-sync

Speedlites use a series of flashes for high shutter speeds, might be a good investment, I'm saving up for one. Even with cheap external flashes I can only get 1/200 occasionally 1/250

MyJohnson

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
Houston
You guys are life savers!

For a noob like me it would take forever to figure all this stuff out with no direction.

Thanks again.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Jeff thats some important info out there

i always thought my cam goes out of synch with radio triggered speedlites, when i see half the pic black, as if something blacked out

bulldogg7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2008
north carolina
www.bullmanphoto.com
A lot of flashes burst at only 1/1000sec and faster, even with slow shutterspeeds you can freeze the action with just a flash. It's little trickier since any ambient light will add blur, but for darker aquariums where the main source of light will be from flashes it's it's worth a shot. Just set the shutter to max sync, and find the aperture that gives total darkness without flash, add flash and adjust the aperture from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store