Help! Which Fathead is Female?

JackieFisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Hi All,
I would like to use some expertise on the gender of these fathead minnows. I am trying to observe the breeding behaviour for a school project. I have one that is surely male, and not sure if these are females. They are not breeding after months.
Thanks!

thumbnail_image1.jpg

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

thumbnail_image4.jpg

thumbnail_image5.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Found this online, hope it helps.
Sexing: Males develop a fatty growth on the head, hence Fathead minnow. They also develop pronounced tubercles on their heads at spawning time and naturally coloured males develop vertical stripes at the same time.

Reactions: tlindsey

JackieFisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Found this online, hope it helps.
Sexing: Males develop a fatty growth on the head, hence Fathead minnow. They also develop pronounced tubercles on their heads at spawning time and naturally coloured males develop vertical stripes at the same time.
I am aware of this, this only happens with a breeding male. Non-breeding males look not that different from females, hence the difficulty. They are not breeding after a long time, and I am not sure of the sex

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
So what's the total count you have, also do you have caves in you're tank. They been known to spawn in hidden areas.

Last edited:

JackieFisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Right now at least one male has developed breeding tubercles and dark pattern, but it is unstable and goes away occasionally.
I am not sure those “females “ are actually males instead.
They are kind also territorial . One “female” would fight for caves.
every fish including obvious males have a little “ovipositor “like protrusion don under.
Not sure if i should persist. There are tons of fun fish to have

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store