(HELP)Why is my baby arapaima yawning??

Poseidonfernandes

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
India
Hi everyone, i had a question. I bought an arapaima 1 month back at 5 inch he is now 10inchs eats perfectly. He is in a 120gal growout tank all by himself. 50% water changes done alternate day. I have noticed that the arapaima yawns alot. Is it a problem or do arapaimas yawn alot? There is alot of aeration. Only thing is i have covered the tank with a glass so that he doesnt jump out. There are very very little gaps. Is this the problem?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi everyone, i had a question. I bought an arapaima 1 month back at 5 inch he is now 10inchs eats perfectly. He is in a 120gal growout tank all by himself. 50% water changes done alternate day. I have noticed that the arapaima yawns alot. Is it a problem or do arapaimas yawn alot? There is alot of aeration. Only thing is i have covered the tank with a glass so that he doesnt jump out. There are very very little gaps. Is this the problem?
Test your water parameters. Do you use a dechlorinator?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I've noticed polys doing it from time to time. I don't think it's quite the same with fish and mammels. Fish are more like snakes and tend to stretch their jaws from time to time.

Poseidonfernandes

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
India
Possible elevated ammonia. I hate to recommend anything with out testing the water but water change and treat with prime.
I dont think its ammonia cause i change the water every alternate day by 50%. What do you think about the glass cover? Which is covering the entire tank so that he doesnt jump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store