Help with algea problem!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
born2lovefish;866281;866281 said:
less light, less food, and more water changes should help.
Not this type. Those solutions are for single celled alga.

You have a nutrient imbalance. You have an excess of either phosphates or nitrates, more likely phosphates. Higher levels of carbon dioxide will help the plants to out compete this algae. If you have pressurized co2, up the BPS, if not, add a strong dose of flourish excel. A faster option is to do a bleach solution dip with the plants, but this should be a secondary method.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I would start with the co2 treatment, and if that doesn't work go to bleach. A bleach solution is 1:19 bleach:water for 3-4 minutes with java fern. Different plants can handle different amounts of time. Some plants can't handle the flourish excel as well though.

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
I am with WyldFya. I had this same problem about 6 months ago. The whole tank was covered in BBA. Start with increased CO2. My problem turned out to be too much phosphate and a lack of nitrate. Once I got everything right, the BBA died off extremely quickly.

Spot doses of Excel worked for me. The BBA died and turned white. The problem is that the dead BBA stuck around longer than the BBA I left alone. YMMV.

Brandon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store