Help with brown algae/diatom problem

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Hi

I seem to have a brown algae problem in three different tanks. Same water supply. I am not sure if my inexpensive E Bay LED lights are causing it.

I have a hospital tank with a baby air water in it. I added one of these in expensive LED lights to it and within for five days begin seeing the brown algae on the glass. The hospital tank has been running for two months with no issues, until I added that light.

The other two tanks are 75 gallon partially planted at a 90 gallon partially planted. The problem is the brown algae growing on my plants. I continue to rub them off but they grow back.

I have reduced my feeding. I have added a UV sterilizer. I also am controlling the light. Nothing seems to be helping. The 75 gallon tank sees very limited amount of LED light. It is in the room with no windows. I leave a small 100 W lightbulb on the other side of the room so it's not totally dark for the fish.
T
My water parameters are zero, zero, 30. Temperature is 80°. I have not checked my phosphorus. I am sure they must be high.

I am doing a 50% water change every week.

There is another thread here:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/brown-algae-easy-fix.682001/#post-7674080

I am wondering if these chemicals ( FLOURISHEXCELL + ROWAPHOS) are safe for my fish. I do not want to kill my fish.

Thx

Eddie

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Personally I would not add really harsh chemicals (like that algaecide stuff from marineland/api... BAD for the fish and carcinogenic) to the tank to control it, it could cause something even worse to happen. You should try co2 and fertilizers if you are doing live plants, depending on the type. Liquid co2 like you mentioned is a good thing for low-medium light plants, but the main ingredient can melt some delicate leaves like anacharis or hornwort in my experience. Maybe only add a little bit and slowly increase the dose. The phosphate removing media should also work well, and once it is depleted will just act as regular filter media, so no worries there. Cost wise getting a co2 system would be your best bet if you do want co2 and a heavily planted tank over the long run. Get like a 5lb tank and a cheap diffuser with a timer, and you should be set for less than 200 bucks, cheaper if you already have the tank. Most welding or homebrew shops refill co2 for cheap!

Also, another thought, maybe the plants aren't getting enough light to outcompete the algae? Hmm.

The UV will be useless if it is just on the surfaces, but it will clear the tank up quick if there are any floaties! I have a coralife unit and my water is way clearer than it was before.

I would up your water changes to twice a week or add pothos, great to grow out of the tank. 30ppm nitrate seems a bit high and is probably a major factor, even with a 50% change. Does your water straight from the tap have ammonia or nitrate maybe or are you overstocked? If you aren't overstocked I would pick up some algae eating fish. Siamese algae eaters, otocinclus, small plecos, guppies (mollies will probably have issues at 30ppm nitrate), nerite/ramshorn/apple snails, etc, will eat the brown algae without munching your leaves. Hope that helps, that brown crap is annoying haha.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
thx GamerChick5567 GamerChick5567

i added a small pleco yesterday. i have 3 small apple snails as well. i have had them for a few weeks. they dont seem to be eating the algae!

i have tap water so it comes out at 20-25 for nitrates. sucks i know. 75 gallon grow out tank. 3 two inch severum and one 8 inch Aro. (and now a small pleco.) i have several low light plants anubius, a sword plant, and two i dont know the name of.

the UV makes for clear water for sure. i do rub the leaves to get the algae floating.

i am afraid it was too much light? idk. they were getting 9-12/day. blue "sleep light" at night. maybe the blue light is growing algae?

how does a the fertilizer and co2 help? wont that just help teh algae grow?

thx

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Basically you will need to find the optimum amount of co2 and ferlilizers, to help the plants outgrow the algae. It can be difficult, so keep tinkering with the lighting and stuff. I know plants can use some of that blue light spectrum but maybe algae can too? Hmm.

There is a section on here about planted tanks. They can help more than me haha.

I do think I got lucky with my last majorly planted tank, back when I was breeding mollies. It was growing so wild I was pulling full buckets of wisteria and hygrophilla out of my 20 long every month. I swear I pulled a 6ft 2 inch thick valisneria out of there too. I think the water chemistry here at my apartment is different than at my parents, haven't seen that type of growth but with 3 tanks I have less time to devote to upkeeping plants haha.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
May I ask what kind of substrate do you have in your tank?
Brown algae does feed on nitrate but
Brown algae is a little different than other algae in that it also uses silicates to form its structure.
It is possible that there is something either in your tap water or in your aquarium it's self that is contributing to the excess growth.

Also low water flow areas can be prone to excessive algae growth.

If this isn't the case then you will have to take away the other possible causes. Light and or excess phosphate and nitrate.

You may have already been told all of this but it may help give you some ideas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store