Help with Camera .

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
21st birthday this year ( June ) .

I have am thinking on asking for a good Digital Camera . Mum and Dad both said they are not sure yet on how much they are willing to spend on me which sort of makes it hard to choose on a Camea to suggest to them , but they said they will have a talk and make thier mind up on how much i am aloud .

Been looking at the ~

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera or the Canon EOS 450D .

But could you please suggest some good Digital Cameras for me to have a look at please . Would like it to have 10+ Mega Pixels and more . .

Please could you help me choose the right Camera for me and have a look at the Thread i made up on MFK and add anything else that will help choose . . .

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302350

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Occupation
Clinical Engineer
Don't get too caught up with megapixels. For point and shoot it's used as a marketing tool, for DSLR it's used for being able to crop more or big prints. If you're not going to be making large prints I wouldn't make that the deal breaker. Let us know what kind of fish you'll be shooting and what other general photography you're interested in and we can make some suggestions based off of that.

IMO, if it's just a hobby and you're on a budget, spend a bit less on the body and a bit more on the lenses because they'll stick with you for a long time. You can keep lenses as you upgrade down the road.

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Thanks for your reply .

I will be shooting everything form fish ( Goldfish , Koi , SA Cichlid , Pleco , Catfish and more ) too things like Landscapes , People , other Animals ( Dogs , Birds , Turtles , Ect ) , Close up work and thing far away from me .

It will my first DSRL Camera and something i will be willing to spend a bit of money on , but as it is my first i dont want to waste my money . I would hopefully like to keep it for many years to come and not need to replace in a few months of getting , just to replace stuff like the Lenses , Ect and buy more for it .

The thing which is really confusing me and is why i am needing the help on choosing the right Camera for me out of thetwo i have picked is that the Nikon D90 is a very well built Camera and i have heard is very good . But the Canon EOS 500D is cheaper and has more Mega Pixels than the D90 .

Which one is the better Camera ?
The one which will last me longer ?
Has more Lenses and stuff for it (
and help me get the best pictures of anything i will shoot )?
And i wont be wasting money on ?

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Bump !

Anyone else have somethng to say , help me out to get the right Camera for me .

stratusfearrr

Feeder Fish
Sep 12, 2009
Connecticut
Real Name
Jake
the D90. Don't worry about megapixels if they are over ten. The d90 is an EXCELLENT nikon camera, and i have heard many excellent things about it.

Granted, it would make more sense to spend less on a body and more on lenses.

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Thanks for your input .

So what you are saying is buy the D90 as its a very good Camera but if i wanted too i could spend a little less on the body and spend my money on getting good Lenses ( which , i think is how i am going to get the better out come in the pictices i take , than spending my money on the D90 ) maybe ?!

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Occupation
Clinical Engineer
Also take into consideration that if you buy any (new) nikon less than the D90 you'll lose out on the older lenses auto focus capabilities. The D90 is a kick ass camera (It's going to be what I'm upgrading to soon) but my original point was to not base it off of mega pixels, rather, what it's capable of. For example: low noise at a high ISO might let you squeeze more performance out of a slow lens while higher resolution won't really help with that. Slower lenses are typically less expensive, so it might save you a few bucks.

Both cameras you're considering are very capable and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one.

The best advice I can give is to research what different lenses and bodies are capable of, relate that to what you want to achieve, and don't expect to just pick up a DSLR and get good shots. It takes some practice:)

Chaitika

MFK Moderators
Staff member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
Real Name
Gerry
Go to a camera store and handle both cameras. You will know which one you prefer. They are so similar it usually boils down to your hand size and how the camera feels to you.

Canon has a better lens line up but only if you plan on getting into the high end pro level gear.

djarmstrong

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
England
Ok thank you for your help .

Basicly i think i am going to have to go with the Canon 500D , as i said i am getting it for my birthday and i was needing to wait to know how much i was aload from my family to spend on a Camera and it's not enough to buy the the D90 and i wont be able add enough money for the D90 .

Advantage's are tho is that the Canon 500D is the smaller camera and i do have tiny hands so holding and using the 500D shoould be easier for me and that it does still have some/ if not as equaly good lenses to buy for it as of the D90 .

The Canon 500D i have seen does come with a EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens so i wont need to go out and pay extra for a lens to start for with .

Is that a good lens ?
What other ( not too expessive ) Lens to can have a look at to get later on ?

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Occupation
Clinical Engineer
the kit lenses are not bad, but you'll be pretty limited in low light and zoom situations. I don't know canon lens specifics so I'll leave that up to the experts:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store