Help with cycling

ZippyTheSnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Started my fish tank on Jan 31, 2017 and to today i still dont have it cycled. Been handling with 2 or 1 water change weekly. Any idea why it hasnt started? I just tested my water and its at
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 1.0-2.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

2 weeks ago i tried API quick start and didnt notice any change. Yesterday i added pondgurus quick starter filter balls. And today i resived Seachem stability. So gonna be trying that. Any idea why its struggling to start? In my 55 gallon tank i have 2 baby oscars. Yes i know its small. I have a larger tank for later. Please no comments about the fish and tank size.

I also have another 55 gallon tank with a couple of fancy gold fish and its having the same problem. Its been going for about a week less then the previous tank.

ZippyTheSnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
How long have you had the test kit is it API or test strips. I would personally take a sample of aquarium water to a lfs and have them test parameters also.
I bought it a few days after i got my tank running and its the test kit

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So you are saying it is the API test kit if so check the expiration date on the bottle. If dates are good shake the bottles vigorously especially the Nitrate test bottles. Also not if vials are not rinsed well after testing it can give you a false reading. Retest

Reactions: GamerChick5567

ZippyTheSnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
So you are saying it is the API test kit if so check the expiration date on the bottle. If dates are good shake the bottles vigorously especially the Nitrate test bottles. Also not if vials are not rinsed well after testing it can give you a false reading. Retest
EXP on 09/2012 Ive done about 15 test so far and i always rinse the test tubes very well

ZippyTheSnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
Yeah that test kit expired 5 years ago, could be the problem. Also, what's your filtration like?
Haha sorry i meant 2021. And my filtration is a dyi canister filter filled with lava rocks second later is scrubbies and a small later of quilt batting. I also got a marineland emperor with quilt batting and some lava rocks. And i'll get my water tested in a lfs when i can

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store