Help with Dying Cichla

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
I have had a few die here and there from getting picked on, but I have lost a couple now and I can't figure out what's going on. I have one right now that i pulled out that's swimming funny sometimes like a swim bladder issue. I did a water change last night, but I haven't checked the parameters as I noticed this one before I left for work but haven't had the time to do that yet. I'm only losing Cichla, not the other fish I have in the tank (a couple catfish and a bichir). I should have been trying to figure this out already, but I always wait until it's too late thinking it's just a fluke. I took a video, but I'm not sure how to post it. Maybe I'll upload it to my youtube account and link it.

20191113_082012[1].jpg

Reactions: dr exum

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Sounds like internal injuries. I had a pbass that got injured due to aggression and had trouble swimming (always at a 45 degree angle up and sinking). I put it into quarantine and gradually added up 1 tablespoon of dissolved epsom salt per 5 gallons to help with any internal swelling. I also added methylene blue and treated for a few weeks. The bass made a full recovery.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Water parameters? Got an API kit?

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
Water parameters? Got an API kit?
I didn't get a chance to check yet as I had to go to work, but I'll check after work. I put it in an empty, cycled tank.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
Sounds like internal injuries. I had a pbass that got injured due to aggression and had trouble swimming (always at a 45 degree angle up and sinking). I put it into quarantine and gradually added up 1 tablespoon of dissolved epsom salt per 5 gallons to help with any internal swelling. I also added methylene blue and treated for a few weeks. The bass made a full recovery.
He/she looks fine, just couple minor fin tears. I will add epsom salt to the tank, but I don't have any here at work, so I'll just put some regular salt in for now. I have a lot of different medications here that I can use, too.

Reactions: dr exum

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
I've lost probably half of my Cichla in the past 6 months. I should have started selling some off as was the plan, but looks like they're doing it for me. I am down to 1 azul and if this one dies, 1 intermedia; Also have a couple kels and others, but I wanted at least a couple intermedia in the end. The runt was killed off a little while ago. Man, I suck at this! If some of these were bigger, I would move them into my 240, but I'm worried about the other fish in there. In my previous Cichla adventures, I never had this much of them killing each other.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
API tap water conditioner (plus Fritz Monster 360)

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
That’s a tough one. Chances are slim once they start to do the death spiral. It’s very strange that you are losing fish here and there, have you added any new fishy the tank lately? Were they quarantined beforehand? Any bully’s in tank? Any ph swings during water changes? What’s the tap parameters versus the tank parameters? Cichla are a very hardy fish and shouldn’t be dropping like flys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store