Help with ID 3/4 Bar Dat

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
So, I've got a pretty unique dat, can't tell if he's a D. pulcher with a bifurcated bar or D. microlepis with fused bar, he's currently 1", his right side has 3 bars, his left has 4, will put up some pics as soon as I get to the needed 6 posts

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm almost certain that you do not have a pulcher due to the fish not having the same number of bars on both sides of it's body....that said, I am looking forward to seeing the photos if it.

Last edited:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That is most certainly a microlepis.

Reactions: FunWow!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh thank you, just outta curiosity how do you Id it ?
You're welcome.It is common for microlepis to have a wide range of stripe patterns from three bars on both sides,on one side and just about every other variation you can think of lol....pulchers on the other hand probably always have three bars on both sides and they have a different tail pattern than than microlepis as well.
Pulchers also go for thousands of dollars per fish and there is little chance of any of them slipping past a supplier and getting mixed in with a batch of cheap indos.

Reactions: FunWow!

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Makes sense, a friend of mine once had a pulcher that he got as a mirolepis, but I guess that's one in a thousand case

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Makes sense, a friend of mine once had a pulcher that he got as a mirolepis, but I guess that's one in a thousand case
Does he still have it?.....or rather,what did he do with it?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Back in the day they would both come in mixed until the figured out what was what from what I’ve heard. Those days are never coming back lol.

Gustavo S

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Does he still have it?.....or rather,what did he do with it?
I don't remember all the details, but seems he was in an overcrowded tank, had some pump failure when he was out and it unfortunately died, it was 8~10" by then.

Back in the day they would both come in mixed until the figured out what was what from what I’ve heard. Those days are never coming back lol.
What a shame, huh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store