Help with ID? They aren't monster fish

Dapper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2012
United States
Hi all,

Is it ok to ask for help with non-monster fish IDs here? I've gotten good advice here before and there are a lot of knowledgeable people, so it's a good bet one of you can at least help me narrow down what I have here.

I bought these two catfish at a lfs as tiny 1" lil guys about 5 years ago. They were marketed as a dwarf synodontis. I thought they were south American bumblebee catfish at the time, but I don't think so now (note branched barbels and very small mouths). Over the years I've not had any luck getting a definitive ID on my own. They're fat, happy, seem to have reached their adult size (about 2"-2.5"), and never bother any of their tankmates. Definitely social and like to stick together, prefer to hide most of the time. Any ideas?

Apologies for the poor image quality-they're almost never out and about, and my phone is old and cheap. This is one fish rolled on its side (ventrum towards the glass) with its buddy wedged under its tail. They're stressed from a large water change just previous to the picture so they're usually a bit darker with more contrast.

IMG_20190525_193448537_BURST001.jpg

Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
hard to tell in the pic but could be microsynodontis batesii.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with Ron - I think definitely Mochokidae. Given the tiny adult size, Microsynodontis is fitting but IDK them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store