Help with identification and stocking American Cichlids

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, I was given the advice to come to this forum due to the knowledge of different kinds of fish that some people don’t know. So anyways I am hoping I can get some help, I have 4 geophagus,1 is a butterfly cichlid, 1 green Severum and a fire mouth and a few other fish that I would like to stalk my 210gallon with when it gets here. I will post pictures of the fish, if anyone can help to identify that would be great. Then I can ask if it would be safe to put my other fish in with them. Thank you so much in advance!
Ps
The third photo I believe is a Braziliensis and the last is the butterfly cichlid.2829D61F-EEC5-433F-A9C8-9B539197E57C.jpegAD221B55-A7AF-4E6D-9592-26F8DB30F1CF.jpeg0D8B2E49-8BC3-49D1-A55C-84B094DF40CD.jpeg50F5FE5F-C097-43F1-A75E-23721EC86F05.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The 3rd does look like one of the brziliensus complex.
Below is Geophagus iporaguesis to compare

Many from that complex look almost indistinguishable. And they come from southern Brazil where waters are cool compared to their northern South American cousins. In warm water they can get quite aggressive.

Not sure your 2nd photo is South American

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Yea the second and first are giving me a real problem, I am not sure if it is because they are juveniles. Every time I ask my LFS where I got them they say they are all geophagus. The Braziliensis is the owner of the tank and he is only 3” big. He seems to very aggressive at feeding time but just chases the others. So I guess a don’t know what I should do with him. Will he be better in the 210 gallon or should I give him back to my LFS? Will he kill other fish in my tank? I am trying to find out also if I can put 4 Hoplo catfish and 2 Raphael catfish one spotted and one striped in the big tank? Also what would you think about a half banded eel? If no one else answers and I can’t figure out what the other two earth eaters are do you have any suggestions on how to figure that out? Thank you very much for responding. I just don’t know how to deal with these fish because the LFS said they would all be fine in a large tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
They all probably will do fine in a 210 gal tank. Even though the braziliensus may be a bit hyper aggressive compared to the rest, in a 210 there is enough space for them all to find a place .
A side view might help ID the one on the first pic, from that top view it could just about appear to be any of 100 species.
By the way, there are probably 100 different species of Geophagines out there.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I know there are a lot, so in the trade do we say just geophagus? I feel not too bright not knowing what they are. lol A377B48D-8FAB-4CAF-99CF-C3A8A880AB86.jpegE51E8D8E-3A2D-4D5A-841E-5DD0782E3DF3.jpeg31D74003-A982-4B47-A3F9-DF94B5F31E78.jpeg067A3419-EF13-4E9C-A406-890F8A5C8C41.jpegDF2BB79C-6190-4D49-84B5-456B16D3AEB6.jpeg

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
All the same fish except for the second to last. The two I don’t know. The tear in the dorsal fin is from the Braziliensis

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Firstly welcome to the hobby.

Secondly when your stocking cichlids expect fish to get occasionally aggressive with each other, chase each other and expect an occasional frayed fin.
Currently the Braziliensis is the tank boss and he doesn't seem too violent, if all he does is chase the others during feeding time, so no reason to return him.
In the 210 he and the other two should have plenty of space as they grow. If anything just those 3 would probably mean the tank in understocked.

I am trying to find out also if I can put 4 Hoplo catfish and 2 Raphael catfish one spotted and one striped in the big tank?
Should not be a problem to add them, given the size of the tank.
If anything you you still have space to add other fish after adding these catfish.

You can use this link below to check how many fish can fit in your tank as well as the ideal water temperature is suitable for the fish in your tank.
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AqVolUnit=gUS&AqTempUnit=C&AqLengthUnit=inch

And lastly, each cichlid is different and has a unique personality. Think of them as aggressive dog breeds. Some of them will get along with other, some turn out to be hyper violent and will fight everyone (loners).
If you end up with a very violent fish (who won't stop fighting), return it to the store and get a different fish.
PS - Fighting is different from occasionally chasing. Fighting in cichlids means leaving real damage, not chasing a fish away during feeding time).

Also expect to make a few mistakes in this hobby. Learn from them and don't repeat those mistakes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
It is possible that 1,2,3, and 5 are the same species, maybe just males and female.
Males and females often look quite distinctive, depending on species.Like the Gymnogeophagus species Paso Pache below

or the Gymnogeophagus Rio Yerbalito below

male above, female below

but also when young, many look quite a bit alike and distinguishing characteristics don't show up until mature
take this young generically appearing Acarichthys heckelli, compared to the mature adult

or a young Gymnogeophagus compared to the mature adults a few shots above

In your most recent 4th shot, it looks more Geophagine than the 1st shot you posted, but I can't tell the species.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Thank you for all the help! Great information! So just to double check the hoplos and the half banded eel should be ok in that tank but I need to watch their interaction. My hoplos are very crazy at feeding time but on the sites I read they said the armored cats are unappealing to South American cichlids, do you think the same? One more question is it normal for severums to be hiding when they see me unless it’s feeding time. He is only 4 inches at this time.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Thank you Hadin I didn’t even notice the comment about the catfish. I am trying to get used to seeing aggression. I just get very nervous that one will kill another. As you can tell I have never had a tank with anything aggressive or even remotely aggresive. I am really greatful that I have this forum to reassure me and what I need to expect from a cichlid tank. I did make some changes though, I have my Severum with 2 cories and 6 scissor fish as dithers. I took the geophagus Braziliensis that was the tough guy of the other tank and put him in with the firemouth. They are about the same size at this point and he isn’t the bully anymore. I will see how that goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store