Help with identification please

Rdurha1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
Noticed these lesions on the belly of my albino brislenose. Not sure if its bacterial or fungal and what course of treatment to provide. Th20181129_223129.jpg ank you.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Look like some openings in the skin. I’d say bacterial and would dose with triple sulfa. Keep the water clean and update as it progresses. Triple sulfa will mess with ur beneficial bacteria and may want to consider a qt tank. Remove any carbon.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Forgot to mention. Would dab the area with methylene blue or can dip the fish in a MB dip for about a week (daily).

Rdurha1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
was talking with some employees at my LFS and happened to recall that I Prazipro'ed the tank about a week ago, their theory is that the skin lesions were possibly caused by parasites exiting the body. I know i have seen this with my loaches and anchor worms after anti parasitic treatments. Think there's any stock to this theory? The bristlenose in question is eating fine and behavior looks normal, but the wounds are still open and haven't started to heal over yet. i have him quarantined and doing partial daily W/C.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
was talking with some employees at my LFS and happened to recall that I Prazipro'ed the tank about a week ago, their theory is that the skin lesions were possibly caused by parasites exiting the body. I know i have seen this with my loaches and anchor worms after anti parasitic treatments. Think there's any stock to this theory? The bristlenose in question is eating fine and behavior looks normal, but the wounds are still open and haven't started to heal over yet. i have him quarantined and doing partial daily W/C.
Hard to say. It’s a possibility. Those openings are big for parasites and the fish still survived. Usually they need levamisole or something else. Prazipro wont treat those mentioned. Anyway....Keep the water clean. Try methylene blue dip or dab the areas with a qtip soaked with MB. It’ll keep the area clean and treat any localized superficial infection. Hope it clears up. Best of luck.

Rdurha1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
Sadly my bristlenose didn't make it, spread to his right pectoral fin and ate away all the flesh from it. Does that mean that i have a larger issue in my closed loop system, because now im pretty sure it was a flesh eating bacteria of some sort. Should i be worried about my other fish potentially becoming ill due to this pathogen? Whats the best way to rectify the problem, my fish are my babies and I'd hate to lose anyone else?
Thank You:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sadly my bristlenose didn't make it, spread to his right pectoral fin and ate away all the flesh from it. Does that mean that i have a larger issue in my closed loop system, because now im pretty sure it was a flesh eating bacteria of some sort. Should i be worried about my other fish potentially becoming ill due to this pathogen? Whats the best way to rectify the problem, my fish are my babies and I'd hate to lose anyone else?
Thank You:
Would watch the other fish. Gotta quarantine. Best way to prevent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store