Help with purchasing a new camera!

gbleeker

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Nebraska
I am looking to buy my wife a new digital camera, that I hope to also use to photography my fish with.

I would love some suggestions of good models for a point and shoot digitial camera, but I need a few requirements:

1) Rapid flash reset time. My current Nikon Coolpics 5200 (old) takes FOREVER between flash shots, so much so that people think the camera died when they take pictures for me.

2) Hopefully as much manual settings as possible to adjust picture taking like when photographing a fish tank. I know most digital cameras (non DLSR) don't have too many features.

3) Good long distance zoom!

I am open to anything though, and would like to hear what people have purchased recently and what they recommend.

Thanks!

Chaitika

MFK Moderators
Staff member
Feb 1, 2007
Back in action!
You may be trying to find a camera that doesn't exist. There simply aren't many point n' shoots that have a lot of manual settings since it is not typically what people buy point n' shoots for.

We'll see if Chubasco chimes in soon. Bil has owned more p&s cameras than anyone I know. :)

gbleeker

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Nebraska
Well if there aren't many options, what are considered some of the better P&S cameras out there?

Anyone have experience with the Panasonic Lumix series?

maddog10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Maryland
Sorry, just haven't been keeping up on the P&S equipment lately. Look through the galleries and see what catches your eye (quality wise). Most members post their equipment just below the avatars.

chubasco

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2005
northern Alabama
My standard P&S recommends are the Canon Powershot G series, that have
a nice feature set with manual controls, the G3 on up is fully wired for the
-EX flashes plus ST-E2 transmitter, and all in the series have RAW format. The
other cams I like are the Sony V1 or V2, but don't have RAW format.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store