Help with sexing channa auranti

ckk125

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Malaysia
Hi guys,

Just bought this channa recently, ate market prawns 6 hours into the aquarium, it is so beautiful and i plan to get another of the opposite sex to reduce chances of aggression.. i think it is a male, however im still relatively new in channas..

Kindly advise,

Thank you

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

Gazham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
England
How long does he measure? it looks young still, so not much chance of spotting what gender it is. You will need to get a few more in a tank to maximise your chance of getting a pair. I would say add another 4 in the hope of finding a pair.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
How long does he measure? it looks young still, so not much chance of spotting what gender it is. You will need to get a few more in a tank to maximise your chance of getting a pair. I would say add another 4 in the hope of finding a pair.
I agree, but do it fast and pick equivalent sizes.
If this fish gets used to his tank, he'll kill anything, whatever the sex. I made this mistake once. I found half channas all over the tank. They didn't eat, just gnawed them in half. :(
Pretty gruesom!

Mazhar26

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Possibly a male , if u want to pair go get 3 or 4 more , then put them in a planted tank , in this type of setup they feel uncomfortable and dont make pair

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
By the way, remove your loaches ASAP.
Loaches are known to get stuck in fish throats and kill them.

And we all know the channa will eat them within a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store