Help with ultima 2000 set up with sump...

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
You could run the pump with flex tubing that is long enough to put it up into the main tank for backwashing. Basically, it will run out of the sump normally, and then when it’s time to backwash, you would simply move the pump up into the main tank and pull water from there for backwashing. Since your ultima will be after the sump, almost all of the debris will have already been filtered out, so you will not need to backwash very often. If I had to guess I would think you could get by with every 3-4 months between backwashes.

Reactions: Orthopod

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
You could run the pump with flex tubing that is long enough to put it up into the main tank for backwashing. Basically, it will run out of the sump normally, and then when it’s time to backwash, you would simply move the pump up into the main tank and pull water from there for backwashing. Since your ultima will be after the sump, almost all of the debris will have already been filtered out, so you will not need to backwash very often. If I had to guess I would think you could get by with every 3-4 months between backwashes.
Agreed, that is how my 250 is set up. I'm not much of a fan. I prefer hardline PVC. The problem is hoses that wont spring a leak after bending a few times.

The best I have found so far is 1" pond hose. 20' for $20 or so at Lowes. Here is a link to a similar type on amazon. AVOID anything cheap or one may very well end up with a disaster.

https://www.amazon.com/Sealproof-Ro...TF8&qid=1515777041&sr=8-15&keywords=pond+hose

Reactions: Orthopod

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Agreed, that is how my 250 is set up. I'm not much of a fan. I prefer hardline PVC. The problem is hoses that wont spring a leak after bending a few times.

The best I have found so far is 1" pond hose. 20' for $20 or so at Lowes. Here is a link to a similar type on amazon. AVOID anything cheap or one may very well end up with a disaster.

https://www.amazon.com/Sealproof-Ro...TF8&qid=1515777041&sr=8-15&keywords=pond+hose
Yeah, you would have to use a quality tubing. The 1” vinyl tubing I got was $60 for a 50ft roll on Amazon. It came in completely kink free and it is still kink free after almost a year of rolling and unrolling for water changes.

Ryanthony01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2018
What if the Ultima pump was located in the initial sump chamber as a submersible (where typically run socks or mechanical filter)... that way ultima would perform the mechanical filtration typical of filter socks and you wouldn’t have to change dirty socks out every 3 days or so - so annoying). When it comes time to flush - you could just pull out the submersible pump with flex tubing from the initial sump chamber and put it in the main tank and do a 50% water change/ultima flush... seems like an awesome way to avoid cleaning mechanical filter /socks!

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
My Jebao DCP 6500 does not live up to its flow rating when compared to other pumps of similar ratings. I like the Jebao and will have no problem buying another but for the Ultima 2000 I would go with an external pump like the Reeflow recommended previously. Jebaos are great pumps but I would expect a lot of resistance in the Ultima 2000 filter.

chondroscritters

Feeder Fish
Jan 12, 2020
australia

stingrayguy

Dovii
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2005
Illinois
I have run both the Ultima 1000 and now the 2000 with those DCP pumps and I've since switched to the Reeflo, the DCP lack serious horsepower and you're leaving performance on the table.

Definitely recommend going with a Reeflo, drill the sump if needed. You'll be happy you did.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store