Here is a big question for DIY plywood tanks

nebraskafishrescue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2021
I want to make my own larger plywood tank and I have all the basics down but one thing I am trying to still figure out. It is going to be approx 500 gallon tank and I want the front to be glass or plexiglass, however, I want to know what thickness of either I need for this big of a tank. Also I would really welcome ideas and suggestions on how to get this clear front piece for as low of a price as possible since it is the most expensive part of building the tank. Suggestions or big ol' broken tanks to offer here?

Reactions: tlindsey

nebraskafishrescue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2021
I keep putting feelers out for a old tank but they are few and far between in Nebraska,,,,we don't exactly have any Seaworlds around here.....

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If you don't mind having multiple panes to make the front then you can use a steel frame as structural support to hold the various glass pieces. this allows you to use thinner glass and smaller pieces.

Over a long span (say 21m long tank) having 7 pieces of 3m glass accommodates flex better than a single 21m length of glass.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

nebraskafishrescue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2021
what is "float" glass?
and with using multiple pieces how to you get it to stay together and keep moisture from getting between the pieces?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I've never seen multiple layers myself. Float glass just basically thick pieces of glass, like what you'd use for a fish tank.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
float glass is annealed glass. But there is a difference in industry standards from country to country. Some glass nerds can recognise country of origin just by recognising the source and ratio of base ingredients.

You can get laminate float glass which I wouldn't recommend for aquariums unless it's a hydrophobic laminate.

Yes, simple butt joins are all that's, needed. no layering of glass. Structural silicon is designed to keep huge glass panels on side of skyscrapers under strong wind loads so a bit of water is no problem. follow manufacturer specifications for expansion gap, depth the width of silicon bead etc. You can choose colour, flexibility (modulus) and adhesion strength so plenty of choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backfromthedead

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
watch on market place and Craigslist for old or broke tank. I found a big acrylic tank 8 foot x 4 foot x 2 foot that the people wanted moved out of a house they just bought. I paid $75 for it and it's made out of 1 inch thick acrylic... So I got ( 2) 8 foot by 4 foot 1 inch thick viewing windows for $75...
Good luck with the build!!!

shogun rua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Reel North
watch on market place and Craigslist for old or broke tank. I found a big acrylic tank 8 foot x 4 foot x 2 foot that the people wanted moved out of a house they just bought. I paid $75 for it and it's made out of 1 inch thick acrylic... So I got ( 2) 8 foot by 4 foot 1 inch thick viewing windows for $75...
Good luck with the build!!!
Damn, that's an amazing deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store