Heterotilapia buettikoferi biting everything

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
I have a 3-inch juvenile growing out in a 55-gallon along with 2 adult tucan fish (Chalceus erythrurus). It's biting everything from tank mates to decor. It has absolutely shredded the sponge filter I have in there and the teflon tape on some of the pipe fittings in the tank.

Any reason why it's doing this? I understand the nipping of tankmates, that's just the aggression showing. But why the decor?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
These are some of the most aggressive and destructive cichlids I have ever kept, but I loved keeping them
They need to be kept a large space (minimum 6 ft tank, preferably larger), with no other fish, because they will eventually hit about 20" and kill anything they are housed with (at least anything I tried), including larger, more predatory cichlids than themselves.
In nature they eat plants, snails, even cow dung.
I have also found they will only work in large tanks with large enough rocks, heavy enough for them not to dislodge, and no equipment or material , or plants they can chew to bits. If allowed something they can pick up, they can destroy that, and the tank they are housed in.
A tank with all equipment in a sump, with drilled overflows would be what I consider useable.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Tilapia are high IQ and inquisitive and fiercely opportunistic. I imagine biting the inedible objects on their part (although we have never seen it with our 4) may be akin to what giant gourami and pacu do to liners, cables, airlines, piping, pretty much anything and everything they can fit in their mouth partly or wholly. Foam, matting, plants, plastic plants? Forget it, they will delight in chewing it up and spitting it out.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I have a 3-inch juvenile growing out in a 55-gallon along with 2 adult tucan fish (Chalceus erythrurus). It's biting everything from tank mates to decor. It has absolutely shredded the sponge filter I have in there and the teflon tape on some of the pipe fittings in the tank.

Any reason why it's doing this? I understand the nipping of tankmates, that's just the aggression showing. But why the decor?
Buttikoferi are amazing cichlids but possibly the meanest you can get, I’d forget about tank mates if I were you. But it will be one of the best wetpets you can have. They grow super fast as well, mine went from 1.5” to 10” in 3 months. I’d go to a canister or hob filter because sponges won’t last long

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Yeah it’s gonna kill anything that moves. Some of the smartest most personable fish you’d ever own though and like Duanes said they need big tanks. Females have no problem getting to 10-12 inches and males get much larger.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store