Hey can Anglefish hybridize with other cichlids?

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
Asking because I swear to god my female convict is attempting to have a go at my male angel. I know convicts are super promiscuous and will hybridize with many heroine cichlids. I just found out that angelfish are also heroine.

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Asking because I swear to god my female convict is attempting to have a go at my male angel. I know convicts are super promiscuous and will hybridize with many heroine cichlids. I just found out that angelfish are also heroine.

Personally never heard of that happening.

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
She's dug a giant pit, swelled up with eggs, and today her ovipositor has popped out. I saw her following the angel a few times today, and she chases away any fish that comes near her cave other than the angel. Although it seems like her advances are being ignored. In the past they stayed on opposite sides of the tank and would fight if one encroaches on the other's territory, but now she's allowing him to enter the cave.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
She's dug a giant pit, swelled up with eggs, and today her ovipositor has popped out. I saw her following the angel a few times today, and she chases away any fish that comes near her cave other than the angel. Although it seems like her advances are being ignored. In the past they stayed on opposite sides of the tank and would fight if one encroaches on the other's territory, but now she's allowing him to enter the cave.
Love is in the air. As they say love knows no boundaries lol. Ok now seriously never heard or seen this. This is very interesting. Please keep us posted about your findings.

Reactions: PGJE

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I seriously doubt it. I can't imagine it hasn't been tried many times in their long history, whether intentionally or not, and I've never heard of it.

The phylogenetics of Pterophyllum seems to keep shifting among scientists over time and in various studies. They've been placed close to Symphysodon (discus) and Mesonauta, more recently closer to the base of the SA Heroine tree. A more recent and what I'd consider one of the best studies I've seen said their correct position "remains unclear". Where they fall seems to depend on which genes you look at, but this study put them separate but closest to a group including Hypselecara, Hoplarchus, Mesonauta, Uaru, Symphysodon, Heros-- closer to where they made sense in the first place imo, but genetics plays weird tricks sometimes.

So at one time I might have said if they'd hybridize with anything it would be discus, at another I'd have said Mesonauta-- and no one has seen either one that I've ever heard of. I've kept angels together with both, also Heros, and I've never seen even the subtlest hint of interest between them. What I have seen is fish of different genera, even different continents, hang out in odd friendships without any of the signs of courtship or spawning, like a green terror and gold severum I had once that liked to hang out together, or a friend I knew who had a frontosa hang out with I (can't remember which) SA cichlid.

Any in the group I listed above would certainly have to be more likely than Central American species that are more distantly related and on different branches of the Heroine tree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store