Hi from Gold Coast Australia, new to fishkeeping, new to here, new to big tanks

Lucifer0411

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2022
Thanks everyone.

Here is a pic of the middle section of my 7 foot nano tank. Sorry probably a bit overgrown in this pic, I have to keep cutting everything back.. Its 2 months in at that point.

I'll post some picks of the big one tomorrow. Not entirely finished in regard to scaping yet but I'll show you what I've got so far

PXL_20221125_232101856.jpg

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Thanks everyone.

Here is a pic of the middle section of my 7 foot nano tank. Sorry probably a bit overgrown in this pic, I have to keep cutting everything back.. Its 2 months in at that point.

I'll post some picks of the big one tomorrow. Not entirely finished in regard to scaping yet but I'll show you what I've got so far

View attachment 1508876
Nice mate! You dosing Co2 on that? Nice ambulia. I can’t seem to
I have done some looking into Aussie natives for a future endeavour. Lots of research I need to do first though and what can and couldn't go together.
Murray cod, perches, barra, Southern Saratoga. What a mix.
yeah they can be a bit odd to mix.
I’d probably go for the Sara, some sootys, jade perch, tropical eel tails (hyrtl’, blacks), archers, sleepy cod, heck, maybe even a lungfish!

Lucifer0411

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2022
Nice mate! You dosing Co2 on that? Nice ambulia. I can’t seem to

yeah they can be a bit odd to mix.
I’d probably go for the Sara, some sootys, jade perch, tropical eel tails (hyrtl’, blacks), archers, sleepy cod, heck, maybe even a lungfish!
Yeh Co2 in that. That ambulia is the fastest growing of all them. The best part is you need to cut it back every two weeks and all the trimmings make new plants, which now go into another tank.
Then just use these aquatic root tabs from Bunnings & API liquid fert.

Lucifer0411

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2022
Here is another one of the long nano tank and a couple of the new larger tank.

I think for the nano tank a couple more varieties of plants might mix it up a bit, even some vals and swords.

For the bigger tank, bare in mind its not quite done yet but have deliberately left it fairly open and no plants due to the cichlids in there. More so for when they get bigger. I hear silver dollars also love plants. I do have about a 6 foot long solid piece of driftwood that I'm considering putting in there, possibly to create more territories etc and mix it up a bit. I could then maybe grow java fern and some moss on that.

Any suggestions though are welcome. Its a blank canvas.

Oh for scale that piece of wood in the middle is nearly 3 ft long. That was the toughest bit of the whole setup. Needed about 100 pounds of bluestone tile to hold it down it was that bouyant.

7 ft.jpg

PXL_20221216_011256760 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20221216_011446534.MP - Copy.jpg

Lucifer0411

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2022
Love them both, specially the nano tank.
Silver dollars and plants are not mutually exclusive, and plants don't have to be limited to Java ferns; some additional choices can work well. The cichlids are a different story, one I know little about.

View attachment 1508966
Very nice tank I like it. I think there are ways to get around the cichlids too. I'm going to try planting some plants in smallish plastic garden pots and bury under gravel etc. You never know

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Very nice tank I like it. I think there are ways to get around the cichlids too. I'm going to try planting some plants in smallish plastic garden pots and bury under gravel etc. You never know
I’ve had success with plants with my Black Eel tailed catfish by gluing the base of Val to a rock and putting that in the sand. He can’t rip it up because it is weighted down, so the roots have time to establish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store