Hi from SouthWestern Ontario, Canada!

LazyLathe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2022
I seem to have landed myself in some hot water recently...
Growing up I always had a goldfish bowl and then aquariums since I was about 8.
Goldfish to full reef tanks, always enjoyed keeping fish and they were mostly small to medium size.
The biggest fish I had was a Black Ghost Knifefish that I had for about 4 years before I had to give him up to a friend with a quiet monster tank. I really enjoyed him a lot as he was about 2 inches when i bought him and he left at around a foot.

There was a hiatus for about 20 years and then I started to bring smaller tanks home with me...
First was a 50 gallon bow front community for the living room, biggest fish are my Odessa barb males down to some guppies given to me that breed constantly and provide food for my other fish...Circle of life yadda, yadda, yadda!

Then I have a 30 gallon in my office that somehow just has Tiger barbs in it. I call it Alcatraz since I had to relocate other fish to give them their own tank! I had 5 and now have 13 in that tank with a small Sailfin pleco.

And lastly next to Alcatraz is Ripley's...
This is a 55 Gallon that used to house a 6 inch Polypterus, two 6 inch Golden Weather Loaches, a 6 inch Tire Track eel and a fish that was sold to me as a Goby but turned out to be a Doctor Fish. Nice and spacious in this tank until a week ago...

I wanted a buddy for my Polypterus and found one on a local marketplace, the guy had 3 and was shutting down his tank.
He told me they were about 8 inches long, so one would be a good addition for a bit...
When I get to his place, he offers me all 3 and an African Leaf fish (about 6 inches long) for the price of ONE poly!
So now this poor 55G is overstocked and luckily over filtered and cleaned every few days.
These beasts eat live food and they eat a LOT! 11 feeders gone in a few minutes! Great to watch!

Christmas day I pick up a 6 foot tank which is around 150 gallons and a stand!
Tank needed a good clean and I painted the back black, I really love that look! It is also a Hagen brand tank with 1/2 inch thick glass! It's a monster!!
I painted the cabinet surround today and will move the tank tomorrow once I empty the community enough to relocate it for a bit. Lots to do!

I will be using pool filter sand for the substrate, some rocks for hiding and some driftwood for the plecos!
Live plants will be added in sections where the lighting will be stronger.
I plan on having a brighter section and a dimmer section for the Poly's to hang out in.

Once set up and running with the water up to temp, I plan on adding the filters from my Tiger barb tank to have it up and running.
It is an Aquaclear HOB as well as an Eheim cannister filter.
Once the community is taken apart, I will use the Fluval 307 doubled up with mostly mechanical filtration in the first unit.

I plan on adding the big fish last, once everything is settled and water parameters are perfect!

Strange how I am now fascinated with bigger fish!
Glad to be here!

Reactions: tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Welcome to MFK L LazyLathe ! Looking forward to seeing the new tank set up as well as your other tanks.

Reactions: tlindsey

LazyLathe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2022
Thanks everyone for the wet welcome!

Today was a busy day...
50% water change on the 50G and then move it while half empty to a temporary spot.
Move the monster tank into place, add the sand and a few rocks and wait until 7pm to fill.

I will start a thread to watch this journey!

LazyLathe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2022
Welcome!
Pictures are always good. Or, do the tanks really exist?View attachment 1509776
I love photo's!!
Here is a teaser from the FB marketplace...
tank.jpg

Somehow I only ended up with one filter and none of the other items... Oh well!

Please follow along here! Pictures will be taken along the way!

Reactions: Jexnell and FJB
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store