Hi, new member here

Paul.

Feeder Fish
May 10, 2017
Hi folks,
Had fresh water aquarium 10 years ago. Looking to get back in to the hobby. I want to build my own aquarium 600 x 400 x 800 mm (L,W,H). For seahorse and mandarin fish. This is my first stab at marine so all advice welcome.
I was thinking...
12mm toughened for aquarium
with external filter full of bioballs (wet/dry)
Should the rock be live rock or should I use dead rock and populate it with cope pods. The filter I had in mind had the final stage as a gravity feedback to allow a small aquarium that contains rock fragments and chaeto for a safe haven for cope pods that could be released in to main aquarium periodically. As I said all sound advice is welcomed

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK ☺ The way some practices from ten years ago have changed. Keeping fish alive is easier thanks to the Internet and Forums. I have kept both Mandarin gobies and Seahorses in the 90's at the time relied on Reef books and Tropical Fish Hobbyists magazines. At the time had live rock sand and yes live coepods are very essential in keeping both species alive. I suggest doing thorough research prior to obtaining these species. Btw I've noticed you can purchase live coepods online.

Reactions: kno4te

Paul.

Feeder Fish
May 10, 2017
Welcome to MFK ☺ The way some practices from ten years ago have changed. Keeping fish alive is easier thanks to the Internet and Forums. I have kept both Mandarin gobies and Seahorses in the 90's at the time relied on Reef books and Tropical Fish Hobbyists magazines. At the time had live rock sand and yes live coepods are very essential in keeping both species alive. I suggest doing thorough research prior to obtaining these species. Btw I've noticed you can purchase live coepods online.
Thanx...have done a bit of reading, there's a lot of debate on live rock or not! Yeah relied on books when I started out with fresh water. One thing I notice is back then anaerobic bacteria was a really bad thing! Now it seems a little is desirable for converting nitrate. Guess I've some catching up to do

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanx...have done a bit of reading, there's a lot of debate on live rock or not! Yeah relied on books when I started out with fresh water. One thing I notice is back then anaerobic bacteria was a really bad thing! Now it seems a little is desirable for converting nitrate. Guess I've some catching up to do

Welcome back and enjoy the hobby again.☺

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
welcome to the site :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store