Hibernation prep

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Could people please tell me how they prep their ponds for hibernation.

Currently Im providing plenty of sleeping areas for my goldfish and feeding them everyday to fatten them up. FYI ponds do not freeze here in Cali, the coldest it gets is in the 50's.

Any more info or comments would be appreciatted!!! :)

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
what are you feeding them?
wheat?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Since it does not freeze then most of your problems are already gone. The goldfish will not hibernate but they will get sluggish, as they do cut way back on your feeding, as they get cold their digestion gets less effiecient but they also need less. Clean out any fallen leaves and just check on them from time to time. you might toss them some tidbits on warmer days if you see them get active but not much because over feeding when their digestive system is working at such a low pace can cause partialy digested food to fermnt in there guts leading to blockages and what looks a little like bloat but what is actually trapped fish farts. I know it sounds funny but it can kill.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
sounds good, im feeding a mixture of pellets and flake.

thou now im wondering if i should take my pleco out? i started another thread about it but if anybody knows...

do plecos hibernate??? or is it time for a vacation inside my house tank???

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
guppy said:
Since it does not freeze then most of your problems are already gone. The goldfish will not hibernate but they will get sluggish, as they do cut way back on your feeding, as they get cold their digestion gets less effiecient but they also need less. Clean out any fallen leaves and just check on them from time to time. you might toss them some tidbits on warmer days if you see them get active but not much because over feeding when their digestive system is working at such a low pace can cause partialy digested food to fermnt in there guts leading to blockages and what looks a little like bloat but what is actually trapped fish farts. I know it sounds funny but it can kill.
dammit guppy you beat me too it :swear: :)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have no idea on the pleco.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank