Hoplias Teres

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
So having recently got back into the hobby, buying rather than just maintaining. I have started looking at my wish list. Recently got a Wykii cat, always wanted one of them. My LFS has just got a group of very small Armatus. I popped in to have a look and reserve one for pay day. The livestock manager is aware of my interest in wolves and keeps an eye out for specials, he mentioned that a Teres has popped up on his list, I have reserved it and hopefully will get a look at on the weekend.

I realise that it will look very 'mala' but I am after any easy to distinguish marks that will clearly show it's Teres. Has anybody got one or had one that could let me know. I'll probably take the gamble anyway and do the scale counts etc.

Cheers

Reactions: tlindsey

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Not to derail your thread but I see you have been around since 2005. Is the website in your sig your website? Any existing large wolves?

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
No problem. Yes my site. It could probably do with some updates, its been a while.

Large wolves now are one remaining Aimara at approx 23" and a 12" Malabaricus.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Interesting to see. If ur able to find a catch location of where they are coming from. That'll help to narrow down.

The ones mentioned from previous article about a different hoplias placed them in the lower parana/misiones region.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
J jelly nice. Any info on your aimara? how long you had him, growth rate, tank, tank mates, pics, etc :)

Reactions: tlindsey

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Interesting to see. If ur able to find a catch location of where they are coming from. That'll help to narrow down.

The ones mentioned from previous article about a different hoplias placed them in the lower parana/misiones region.
+1. No one has had any confirmed. So if you get it we'll need all the info and pictures we can get to help you ID. Will be a lot of going back and forth to the tax as well for me anyway as I don't remember anything off the top of my head for teres since we never see it.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Cool, I am hoping when I see it, it will click and I'll see a difference in some way.

I wasn't aware they existed in south Brazil or Argentina, as I understood it they are a Venezuelan species.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They were caught quite frequently there around the Argentina Paraguay Uruguay area. The one taxonomy paper for h. mbigua had them caught along with these. Never heard of them else where.

Maybe Venezuela is a source.

There isn't too much info on them.

Reactions: moe214

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
J jelly nice. Any info on your aimara? how long you had him, growth rate, tank, tank mates, pics, etc :)
I plan to do an update thread at some point as the last pics on here were a few years ago. I am just rescaping the aquarium before I do so.

I think I got him in 2009. At approx 10", I have never measured growth rate but it has certainly slowed. In an 8" with three was four Brycon.

These are from a few years ago

He looks so small in this video, the tiger and red tail Brycon are no more.

And this was the second one with the SD's, he got bigger and then took them out.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Nice. Surprised in the 8 years he hasnt gotten bigger. There are a couple bigs one on here, but it seems their popularity has waned a little bit. There was a member with a 30in in a 600g but got moved to a 300g and another member (Vincent) has a ~28in in either his 3,000g or 4,000g tank.

Is your current one still housed with the brycon? I would think he would take those out at his size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store