Housing ATF

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
I see people all the time with multiple different tigers together. But when I have more then one in a tank one chase the other none stop or try to fight him. My last ones I had a few peacock bass and two payaras with them still only went after each other.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Like fr they was best friends a couple days ago. Swimming in a school together and everything. Now one just chasing the other none stop. They are no more then 5-6 inches

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Tigers do horribly in a group. Ur better off picking the one u like the most a raising one per tank. Granted u may come across multiple fish in 1 tank but the odds of them surviving is slim to none. In my experience ur better to have just 1 fish with compatible tank mates. Good luck!

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Tigers do horribly in a group. Ur better off picking the one u like the most a raising one per tank. Granted u may come across multiple fish in 1 tank but the odds of them surviving is slim to none. In my experience ur better to have just 1 fish with compatible tank mates. Good luck!
Thanks

Reactions: fishtankphil

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I second the specimen tank for atf. I see tons of people who have successful groups for sometimes a year or two, but after a while those atf always either disappear from social media or end up with just one in the tank. This is largely due to the fact that they normally only school as juveniles unless there's some food-related reason for them to gather, like the okavango catfish run. Otherwise, they're quite intolerant not each other (and things they think look like them) once they're mature.

Start with one and have a flawless specimen as opposed to the alternative.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
I second the specimen tank for atf. I see tons of people who have successful groups for sometimes a year or two, but after a while those atf always either disappear from social media or end up with just one in the tank. This is largely due to the fact that they normally only school as juveniles unless there's some food-related reason for them to gather, like the okavango catfish run. Otherwise, they're quite intolerant not each other (and things they think look like them) once they're mature.

I couldn't agree with u more!! I think it's a waste of money and animals to try a school and have them pick each other off. Best to go with 1 fish and have a great representation of it instead of a mangled up group that eventually will end up with 1 fish!

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan

Okay the I guess the main problem I’m having is all the fish I like don’t mix while with each other. I wanted to get a tank with atf golden dorado and freshwater cudas but I hear that they going to fight a lot. I have all my tigers in different tanks right now hopefully I can raise one to be gorgeous.

Gucci

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2007
Germany
Long term just one if you havent got a x thousand gallon tank. Vatf are much more agressive imo, gatf works much better. But yes, long term better have just one. See my other thread. Both 12'', but i think i will have to sell one in less then a year. My older vatf would have killed them both immediatelly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store