How bad are wimples and can they be with other fish?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi, just curious how bad wimples are and if they can be kept with American cichlids? I imagine they are a lot like exos in behavior and compatibility. Could one safely go with a bp, jd, and Severum, or would it be no better than adding a true piranha?

Reactions: tlindsey

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Hi, just curious how bad wimples are and if they can be kept with American cichlids? I imagine they are a lot like exos in behavior and compatibility. Could one safely go with a bp, jd, and Severum, or would it be no better than adding a true piranha?
I'd assume it wouldn't be ideal, just get soggy and float around the tank.

Google's telling me a wimple is a headdress worn by nuns.

Or a common name for the marine bannerfish, which would be even less appropriate.

What fish re you referring to?

• Haha
Reactions: Gunfleet and Zanzag

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well,since this thread is in a specific characin section I think it should be safe to assume that the poster is referring to the Whimple piranha.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
dr exum dr exum

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, I meant the piranhas. I assume it wouldn’t work, I’m just curious if it can.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yeah, I meant the piranhas. I assume it wouldn’t work, I’m just curious if it can.
Tagged a member who has a group of Wimple Piranha but not sure if he keeps them with other species. I've read that they are scale eaters in the wild.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I have no practical experience with them, and the only place where I’ve ever seen them for sale was the shark aquarium in New Jersey that closed years ago. Very interesting fish. I looked into keeping them, I was deterred by the scale eating. Did you find them for sale somewhere?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Only place I’ve seen them was aquascape online. They are $35 each. I’m pretty sure shipping is also insane for them.
I am mostly deterred by how much a school would cost. They seem like they are exodons that look like silver dollars.
I have seen a video of a beautiful tank of wimples, exodons, and fahaka puffers.

Reactions: HarleyK
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store