How bad of an idea is this?

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have kept Chinese Mystery Snails (aka Chinese livebearing snail, Bellamya chinensis) in the past, and it ended with them all dying when I treated the tank for finrot, which crashed the tank and killed all my fish. :(
Anyway, they are a major invasive species in NY, but not illegal to keep. I have been collecting their shells, and my father told me that he would very much like if I put some big live ones in the family 55, as he likes them. I told him I thought it was a bad idea and why that was that.
I am now having second thoughts. I am hoping someone can clear some questions up for me.
1) How likely are they to die without my poisoning them?
2) Will they eat my plants?
3) Will they eat my algae?
4) Any other possible problems they might cause?

Wikipedia said:
This species is primarily an algae eater in an aquarium context. These snails are popular in freshwater aquariums because they do not eat fish eggs or plants, they do not overpopulate the aquarium, and they close up if there is a water problem, giving people an indication that something is wrong a few weeks before the fish die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mystery_snail#Feeding_habits

Reactions: tlindsey

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Bump

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I happen to like snails, but..... although I prefer the smaller Maylay variety that live mostly in the substrate helping keep it mixed, and aerobic.
Snail are/can be careers of certain parasites, one which needs to complete its life cycle in birds, does not harm the fish, but can cause unsightly pocks on the fish for a time.
And may also carry opportunistic bacteria, and viruses that can be dangerous to fish without immunity.
They can also carry a temporary, and unsightly rash communicable to humans, often called swimmers itch, it also is "not" dangerous but uncomfortable (it is related to Schistosomiasis).
If any wild caught snails carry the above parasite, it can be transferred to who ever does in tank maintenance.
They will eat a tiny amount of algae, and dying plant tissue but then krap out the remains, so unless you regularly vacuum it up, it will degrade water quality.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I happen to like snails, but..... although I prefer the smaller Maylay variety that live mostly in the substrate helping keep it mixed, and aerobic.
Snail are/can be careers of certain parasites, one which needs to complete its life cycle in birds, does not harm the fish, but can cause unsightly pocks on the fish for a time.
And may also carry opportunistic bacteria, and viruses that can be dangerous to fish without immunity.
They can also carry a temporary, and unsightly rash communicable to humans, often called swimmers itch, it also is "not" dangerous but uncomfortable (it is related to Schistosomiasis).
If any wild caught snails carry the above parasite, it can be transferred to who ever does in tank maintenance.
They will eat a tiny amount of algae, and dying plant tissue but then krap out the remains, so unless you regularly vacuum it up, it will degrade water quality.
Thanks. I already have little snails in my substrate.I think I may go ahead with these snails. If they havn't given me a rash until now, I doubt they will start if I put them in my tank. Will it help prevent introducing bacteria/virus/disease if I QT them first?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You may have killed them with copper, inverts are insanely sensitive to it. Other than that not got a clue on these snails

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
You may have killed them with copper, inverts are insanely sensitive to it. Other than that not got a clue on these snails
I treated with Melafix, which claims to be copper-free and invert safe, but you are probably right.
(At this point I believe Melafix is 100% snake oil, and some salt, extra heat and extra WC is the cure for finrot, but I thought it was the best thing at the time.)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have been tempted to bring home native snails. But the thought of also bringing home parasites and bacteria have stopped me. Also knowing it is illegal to do so in my state. If I got caught(even though that is unlikely) the punishment wouldn't be worth saving money on buying snails. Lol

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store