How big of a tank for a single red tiger mota?

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
20200618_194938.jpg

20200801_175504.jpgSoo this is my RTM and I LOVE this fish...however I currently have her in a 300gallon community tank with other CA/SA cichlids and cats and she harasses each and every fish. She has claimed the entire right half of the tank (as you can see if the pic of the tank shes standing guard :devil:)and no fish dare enter her domain even the plecos and she will still venture around the whole tank and harass all the fish even the oscar that is bigger then her. I've noticed this is starting to stress some of my other fish and with her teeth now developed shes leaving marks on the fish especially my Colombian cat and pictus. Shes about 4-5" now and I don't want to sell her so I want to rehome her into her own tank, I'm just wondering how big a tank should be for this fish on its own. A quick google search says 80 gallon, just want to see if this is overkill or not enough for a single RTM.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
View attachment 1427447

View attachment 1427448Soo this is my RTM and I LOVE this fish...however I currently have her in a 300gallon community tank with other CA/SA cichlids and cats and she harasses each and every fish. She has claimed the entire right half of the tank (as you can see if the pic of the tank shes standing guard :devil:)and no fish dare enter her domain even the plecos and she will still venture around the whole tank and harass all the fish even the oscar that is bigger then her. I've noticed this is starting to stress some of my other fish and with her teeth now developed shes leaving marks on the fish especially my Colombian cat and pictus. Shes about 4-5" now and I don't want to sell her so I want to rehome her into her own tank, I'm just wondering how big a tank should be for this fish on its own. A quick google search says 80 gallon, just want to see if this is overkill or not enough for a single RTM.
Beautiful female. I personally would be worried about that Venustus. I know it's a link for a pair but should give you your answer from some very experienced members https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/motaguense-pair-tank-size.663918/

Reactions: RustyGrizz

LDPatton

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2019
I dont think 80 gallons is enough. You already say shes claimed half of a 300 gallon tank so shes already using up 150 gallons and still harassing the other fish. I get comments all the time about my jag being in a 300 gallon tank with only a small female. When I watch them swim around the 8' 300 gallon tank I feel like they take up that whole tank and they are not full grown yet. I have 3 fish in my 6' 150 gallon tank. 1 JD, 1 Carpintis and 1 Jag thats 8.5'. I think they would all be better if they each had a 150 tank for themselves. Thats just my opinion and like to see the fish in a tank that gives them at least close to the size of an area they would naturally live in.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Imo a 48x18x24 90g or 4x2x2 120g would be the minimum for a single female RTM. Around 4x length and 2x width for an adult size female but bigger would obviously be better. My female RTMs were all very skittish without tankmates so you might want to consider adding dithers.

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
Imo a 48x18x24 90g or 4x2x2 120g would be the minimum for a single female RTM. Around 4x length and 2x width for an adult size female but bigger would obviously be better. My female RTMs were all very skittish without tankmates so you might want to consider adding dithers.
Great thanks for the info! Ok as for a tank mate would it be another RTM or could it be a different fish?

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
I'd vote for a 4x2x2 120 gallon tank and a school of 12 or so Giant Danios for her to chase around.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Great thanks for the info! Ok as for a tank mate would it be another RTM or could it be a different fish?
You would have more options with a bigger tank but I didn't have much success with other cichlids. I tried keeping a female RTM with a female festae but they fought constantly so had to separate. I paired that female with a similar size male RTM and he permanently damaged her swim bladder the night after their fry hatched. I tried another female in a 240 with a dovii and he killed her a few days later. If you had several cichlids of similar size to spread aggression it might work but personally I would recommend something like silver dollars, plecos or smaller catfish.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Fish can either thrive or survive in their tanks. In general a larger tank is always preferred. Smaller tanks, 75-100, require much stricter attention to water parameters and water changes. You could keep a female RTM in a 75 gallon without an issue. Again...bigger is better. Most of my larger pair are kept in 120 - 400 gallons. But I do have a half dozen 100 gallon tanks that are used for breeding. Smaller tanks also make photographing the fish easier.

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
So I came across an offer I couldn't pass up today, a 120 gallon with stand, x2 aqua clear 70 filters, x2 ehiem 300W heaters, x2 nicrew led 27" lights, a box full of api and seachem meds/conditioners and multiple bags of hikari cichlid food all of which have barely been touched and an api master test kit for $300(CA)!! Looks like my girl is getting a new home sooner then later and I restocked my supplies! Thanks everyone for the input, I'm hoping this tank will suffice for her to thrive if not...looks like I might have to get another tank in the future:naughty:

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
So I came across an offer I couldn't pass up today, a 120 gallon with stand, x2 aqua clear 70 filters, x2 ehiem 300W heaters, x2 nicrew led 27" lights, a box full of api and seachem meds/conditioners and multiple bags of hikari cichlid food all of which have barely been touched and an api master test kit for $300(CA)!! Looks like my girl is getting a new home sooner then later and I restocked my supplies! Thanks everyone for the input, I'm hoping this tank will suffice for her to thrive if not...looks like I might have to get another tank in the future:naughty:
Good deal sounds like a perfect setup for your rtm. She will appreciate a cave if you can make one, mine loved that log tunnel everyone seems to have. In the future I would upgrade the Aquaclears to 110s, my new 70 is pretty weak in comparison. Good for small tanks but not much surface agitation.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store