How big of a tank for a single red tiger mota?

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
Good deal sounds like a perfect setup for your rtm. She will appreciate a cave if you can make one, mine loved that log tunnel everyone seems to have. In the future I would upgrade the Aquaclears to 110s, my new 70 is pretty weak in comparison. Good for small tanks but not much surface agitation.

Funny your should mention a tunnel...
20200804_230238.jpg
These pipes and the driftwood are her favorite, I once tried to remove the driftwood to open up the tank a bit and it stressed her out and she lost alot of her color... put it back in and she started to color up again within the day(this pic was taken the day I put it back in)

I have a couple wavemakers im not using I was gunna throw in as well to get the water moving around better but if that doesn't do the trick I also have an FX5 I could use too.

Reactions: Oscar Mike

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Funny your should mention a tunnel...
View attachment 1427589
These pipes and the driftwood are her favorite, I once tried to remove the driftwood to open up the tank a bit and it stressed her out and she lost alot of her color... put it back in and she started to color up again within the day(this pic was taken the day I put it back in)

I have a couple wavemakers im not using I was gunna throw in as well to get the water moving around better but if that doesn't do the trick I also have an FX5 I could use too.
Lol nice mine did the exact same when she outgrew the plastic log so I made a cave out of slate. That fish almost made me quit the hobby after her swim bladder got damaged, had to force myself to put her down after hand feeding her for a year while she laid on her side. Shut down all but one tank after that because it was too depressing going back in my old fishroom. If you ever get a male be sure to have a cave he can't get in because they're very hard on the females.

Those convicts would be good tankmates in the 120, one of the few cichlids that can hold their own without inflicting too much damage.

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
Lol nice mine did the exact same when she outgrew the plastic log so I made a cave out of slate. That fish almost made me quit the hobby after her swim bladder got damaged, had to force myself to put her down after hand feeding her for a year while she laid on her side. Shut down all but one tank after that because it was too depressing going back in my old fishroom. If you ever get a male be sure to have a cave he can't get in because they're very hard on the females.

Those convicts would be good tankmates in the 120, one of the few cichlids that can hold their own without inflicting too much damage.
Awww man that's brutal! I'd be devastated as well. I don't think I'll get a Male im happy with just her, might get a few armored or speedy tank mates but she will be there lone aggressor.

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
My female RTMs were all very skittish without tankmates so you might want to consider adding dithers.
Well Mike you couldn't be more right. I managed to get her in the new tank last night(quick tank cycle because everything in the new tank was from my 300 gallon) along with a pleco and if I get within 15ft of tank she swims into the cave I built out of rocks and doesnt budge until im hiding on the other side of the room lol

However my main tank is ALOT better, all the fish are exploring the whole tank now, they are all swimming alot slower and more relaxed. AND that pair of convicts I've had for about 9 months laid eggs today!! So I'd say so far moving the RTM was a good choice!

20200806_130936.jpg
As close as I can get before she hides Haha
20200806_215202.jpg

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Well Mike you couldn't be more right. I managed to get her in the new tank last night(quick tank cycle because everything in the new tank was from my 300 gallon) along with a pleco and if I get within 15ft of tank she swims into the cave I built out of rocks and doesnt budge until im hiding on the other side of the room lol

However my main tank is ALOT better, all the fish are exploring the whole tank now, they are all swimming alot slower and more relaxed. AND that pair of convicts I've had for about 9 months laid eggs today!! So I'd say so far moving the RTM was a good choice!

View attachment 1427851
As close as I can get before she hides Haha
View attachment 1427852
Yup that sounds familiar lol I think the key is giving her cover without too much cover if that makes sense. Give her shallow caves where she feels secure from 3 sides but doesn't get used to hiding in the dark. Maybe space out the rocks a bit so she stays under the wood more often (beautiful piece btw).

I raised a total of 12 RTMs to adulthood and their personalities were very similar, alpha males tried to kill everything, beta males and females were shy which is a shame because they are among the best looking cichlids imo.

I will say there was a big difference in behavior between living in a 100g vs 240. The one I tried keeping with my 8" dovii almost completely ignored the outside and swam freely around the tank. Still preferred the cave though ?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice fish and I think the 120g will be a great home for the RTM. I find many cichlids are skittish without tankmates like you are experiencing. Some quick tankmates may be in order. I find convicts actually work well as dithers for larger cichlids, though this depends on if she lets them live, or wants them dead. If it's the later, could try some large characins or danios, they are pretty quick and tough.

Reactions: tlindsey

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
Yup that sounds familiar lol I think the key is giving her cover without too much cover if that makes sense. Give her shallow caves where she feels secure from 3 sides but doesn't get used to hiding in the dark. Maybe space out the rocks a bit so she stays under the wood more often (beautiful piece btw).

I raised a total of 12 RTMs to adulthood and their personalities were very similar, alpha males tried to kill everything, beta males and females were shy which is a shame because they are among the best looking cichlids imo.

I will say there was a big difference in behavior between living in a 100g vs 240. The one I tried keeping with my 8" dovii almost completely ignored the outside and swam freely around the tank. Still preferred the cave though ?
Yah I built a 2 floor cave with the rocks haha and she does tend to stay in there alot right now and if I walk up while she is free swimming she freaks out and runs into the sides of the tank until she gets into the cave. I managed to get a 8 " common pleco for free (along with about 50 blue crayfish that are now in a 20gallon breeding tank to feed to the cichlids) and a bristle nose in the tank but it doesnt seem to help her out and as some of you have mentioned she may need something more speedy active to take her focus away from the outside because like as you stated with your fish when she was in my 300 she couldn't care less about the outside world just which fish were coming into her area.

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
Nice fish and I think the 120g will be a great home for the RTM. I find many cichlids are skittish without tankmates like you are experiencing. Some quick tankmates may be in order. I find convicts actually work well as dithers for larger cichlids, though this depends on if she lets them live, or wants them dead. If it's the later, could try some large characins or danios, they are pretty quick and tough.
I have a breeding pair of convicts I'm thinking of adding into the tank as I've seen them face off with the RTM before and they stand their ground quite well and my RTM doesnt seem to eager to kill things even when I add a guppy for feeding it takes her a few hours to finally gobble it up and I even tried 3 small crayfish yesterday and she only bit one in half during the night and the other two are still jetting around the tank and she doesnt seem too interested.

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I have a breeding pair of convicts I'm thinking of adding into the tank as I've seen them face off with the RTM before and they stand their ground quite well and my RTM doesnt seem to eager to kill things even when I add a guppy for feeding it takes her a few hours to finally gobble it up and I even tried 3 small crayfish yesterday and she only bit one in half during the night and the other two are still jetting around the tank and she doesnt seem too interested.
If adding a breeding pair, just make sure they don't get her backed into a corner in her own tank! They are surprisingly fiesty. If aiming for dithers, I usually go for a few same sex individuals so they don't stake out their own territory and everything. But hey if the pair works for ya, sounds like a nice addition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store