How big will Zenentodon Cancila get?

thunderbolt289

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
SE Minnesota.
I have a 75 gallon tank with three-6" Zenentodon Cancila "Gars" and a single 8" Hujeta "Gar". How big will they eventually get? Will I need a larger tank eventually? These fish aren't covered too well anywhere else. This is my first tank and and have had great luck so far. Thanks for any and all help!

thunderbolt289

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
SE Minnesota.
Great! Are these hardy fish? One had some white on its fins. Not clumps, just a pale white color. It cleared up with pimafix. Also I hear people feed these frozen (thawed) food. Is this to prevent disease?

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
the only live fish that pose a health risk to your predators are goldfish. Don't use goldfish, unless you quarantine them for several weeks in a separate tank (that's a pain in the ass to do, btw). Use guppies or minnows for occasional live feedings. Pellets and frozen foods are a good staple diet.

thunderbolt289

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
SE Minnesota.
This might seem like a dumb question, especially since I've had these critters for 6 months, and a pair of Hujeta "Gar" for over a year, but by gold fish do you mean rosy feeders? Some places refer to them as rosy feeder's, minnows, or just rosy reds. Some are gold, and some are silvery. They are frequently in poor health when I get then and I sometimes loose half before they get feed. I store them in a ten gallon (soon to be a 30) before I feed them.

slavezer0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Manila, Philippines
www.ahbcoe.tk

thunderbolt289

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
SE Minnesota.
Yes, it's a ctenolucious hujeta "gar". I lost one after it jumped through a 1"x1" hole in the top of my tank a couple months back. That really sucked. I'm still not sure how he did it, but it happened. I immediately cut a new stip for the back of my tank and nothing has escaped since. When I figure out how to post pics, I'll post a bunch (I've got really good pics and videos!).

My fish won't eat goldfish. The arched backs seem to the problem right now. My fish just aren't big enough to eat them yet. If I get the occasional goldfish in with the rosies, they end up in my friends Phirranha (sp?) tank.

So "rosies" aren't gold fish? They're minnows correct? Thanks again for all the help.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Goldfish are domesticated carp without barbels.

Carp came from asia/europe. Rosy reds are albino fathead minnows, P. promelas, and are indigenous to north america. They get about 2", max.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store