How can I catch my Raphael catfish?

Carefree_Dude

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
I want to move a raphael catfish to a different tank. Its current tank though has a ton of rockwork. I actually have no idea where it's at in the tank and I haven't seen it in a few months. Is there a good way I can set a trap for it and catch it?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If there are no other fish then could try placing a diy mini minnow trap in the tank with food in it. Leave it overnight.

Reactions: tlindsey

jowens

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
Charlotte, NC
There are also commercially available acrylic traps made specifically for reef tanks I believe. They are simply cylinders with a trap door at one end that you lower once the cat's inside.
I have used them with good results.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
You probably already know this but you dont see the raph because it is nocturnal.You should easily be able to catch it late one night after it comes out to hunt for food.I would keep things as dark as possible and use a flashlight to see and net the fish while it is out cruising about.

Reactions: Jexnell and kno4te

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If you have one of those camping head torches, the red setting is ideal in not spooking cats but being able to see them. Some seem to notice the red light but others dont.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Or find what he is hiding in and move that.

You can see mine there in the driftwood, all day he wedged in there so easy to move the driftwood with him going along for the ride.
20170929_155030.jpg

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I finally caught it. I got a small worm, gripped one end, and dangled it along the crevices of the rocks. Before long, the catfish grabbed the other end and didn't let go. I was able to just pull him out.
Well, I was scrolling through this about to suggest you just pull all the rocks out.

But sounds like your way was easier.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store