how do aba aba knives... work?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
All I know is, compared to other knives, this thing is like the black sheep of the family. elongated dorsal instead of anal fin, finger clipping teeth, fast, etc, can anyone fill me in on where they fit evolutionarily on that family tree?

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
So the aba aba knifes are in the order Osteoglossiformes which include but not limited too arrowanas,arapaimas,asian knifes,south American knifes, and lastly the mormids. Contrary too what its name states its actually not closely related to the knife but its actually a mormid and the way its shaped and evolved is perfect for it too survive harsh fast waters of the nile also its scientific name is Gymnarchus niloticus.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
And also if my latin is correct the scientific name means is exercise bow from the nile but remeber I don't speak latin so if its wrong its not my fault.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoglossiformes This page has a nice tree to show it.

Bony tongue Knifefish and mormyrid-type fish split off together, from which the group split into mormyrids and the monotypic family containing the aba aba. Most likely adapted to be a more vicious piscivore than it's cousins. A bit of an evolutionary oddity, much like the African butterfly fish that spread off long before the rest of ancient fish

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
The South American knifefishes form their own order Gymnotiformes that's not closely related to the Osteoglossiformes. Gymnotiformes are part of the huge group Ostariophysi, which includes catfishes and characiformes.
So both the Osteoglossiformes and Gymnotiformes independently evolved their electric senses. Aside from its unusual shape compared to the mormyrids, Gymnarchus is the only one of the African electric fish to have a wave-type electric discharge (as opposed to pulses), which is found in about half of the South American knives.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store