How do you guys maximize your brine shrimp yields?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
while I have success in hatching bbs for my endless supply of fry, it is usually not as much as I'd want/as much as I expect. What I am currently doing at the moment:
- 2 liter hatchery
- 1 tablespoon salt
- non dechlorinated water because I've heard the chlorine doesn't do anything to them except help them hatch easier
- warm led shone on the bottom of the hatchery, heats hatchery up at least a little bit
- aeration coming from the bottom of the upside down bottle
I get about a 50-60% initial hatch rate from eggs advertised as having a 90% hatch rate. I let it run for an extra day to get an extra 20-30% out of that.
Is there something I'm doing wrong/anything I should do that I'm not already doing?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
As far as I know they're brand new, they said best by next june or something.

Reactions: Bbuckley

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Decapsulate the cysts. This let's napulii hatch faster and easier (so they have more energy when eaten) and allows you to feed unhatched artemia too.

Google will provide you all the advantages.

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hello Hybridfish7 Hybridfish7 ,
I'm a little late to this thread. I would like to hatch my own brine shrimp too. I don't know if you hatched any brine shrimp since your post, but there are some very good videos on Youtube that explain the process step by step. Keep in mind that some brands of brine shrimp are supposed to be better than others. One good video is from Aquarium Co-Op. It seems you're on the right track. And yes, you don't need to de-chlorinate your water. It seems that there is a certain amount of salt Vs eggs also. GL

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
You will never get the advertised hatch rate if you don't decapsulate the eggs. Below is a good article on how to do that. It takes a little practice to get the hang of, and like an aquarium the larger the batch the easier. You can store decapsulated eggs in the fridge for a week or more as long as you squeeze out most of the water.

FA18/FA023: Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs (ufl.edu)

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
You hydrate the dry cyst to remove the dried dimple shape back to spherical to evenly cook off the shell wall as part of the process but once decapsulated you can store for many weeks in a salt slurry in fridge. (essentially drying them out again).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store