How good is Herring as food?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, fish will eat birds in nature, but not as a regular staple. Wrong amino acid profile, and wrong fatty acid profile. Also in the wild, fish will eat elephant and rhino dung as it falls out of their arse - because in the wild fish live by a feast or famine rule. So better to eat what they can, when they can, in order to survive to another day. Then figure out what's next on the menu.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Haha, if them two guys in my avatar were alive today, and they read this thread, they'd be pissing themselves:ROFL:

Reactions: islandguy11

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yes, fish will eat birds in nature, but not as a regular staple. Wrong amino acid profile, and wrong fatty acid profile. Also in the wild, fish will eat elephant and rhino dung as it falls out of their arse - because in the wild fish live by a feast or famine rule. So better to eat what they can, when they can, in order to survive to another day. Then figure out what's next on the menu.
Agreed, most fish are opportunistic. There's a crayfish crawling around on the bottom, it's food. A cricket fell into the river, it gets eaten. There's some fish fry/smaller fish, it gets eaten. There's a frog that fell into the water, it gets eaten. Simply put, if it goes into the water, there's a good chance it gets eaten, hell I've caught fish with ham, with corn, with grubs, with hotdogs, with chicken, with heart and liver, and even without bait. They're opportunistic, they will eat just about anything in the wild. When it comes to reptiles and amphibians, are they also not good for fish? I just go by the rule of thumb that if it isn't an insect, crustacean/mollusk, or another fish, then the fish shouldn't eat it (for carnivores).

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
When it comes to reptiles and amphibians, are they also not good for fish?
As long as non poisonous, and not as an every day staple, probably just as good as a duckling. In the wild fish tend to figure things out fairly well. In captivity, some people just go overboard. One member here once told me that his fish liked Vienna sausage the best. lol

Reactions: TheReefer

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Aye Reefer,was that a baby heron that you tossed in to your jardini?

• Haha
Reactions: TheReefer

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
As long as non poisonous, and not as an every day staple, probably just as good as a duckling. In the wild fish tend to figure things out fairly well. In captivity, some people just go overboard. One member here once told me that his fish liked Vienna sausage the best. lol
lol, well maybe his fish did like Vienna sausage the best, I don't know why you'd feed that, when I kept predator fish their diet was culls, worms, crickets, pellets, shrimp, tilapia fillets, and the occasional crayfish/crab

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
lol, no, or atleast I don't think so lol, never really had herons around me, especially not at that time so I doubt it
I know....just messin with ya.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store