how long can a RBP live in a 5g?

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
i have 1 RPB that is a fry about the size of a dime, and im wondering given proper food and filtration, how long could it live in there?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
i have 1 RPB that is a fry about the size of a dime, and im wondering given proper food and filtration, how long could it live in there?
It would probably live for a month or 2 at most. Stress would be the killing factor in the end. It would be barely enough time to setup a 75g tank for it and have it cycled.

Btw if it's dime sized it's a juvinile not a fry. A fry is usually around the ⅓ the size of a grain of rice all the way upto ½ the size of a small pill depending on the specie.

cichlid tank

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
It would probably live for a month or 2 at most. Stress would be the killing factor in the end. It would be barely enough time to setup a 75g tank for it and have it cycled.

Btw if it's dime sized it's a juvinile not a fry. A fry is usually around the ⅓ the size of a grain of rice all the way upto ½ the size of a small pill depending on the specie.
ok thanks for the advice!

junior2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2012
bronx
You can house a rbp fry especially if its one in a 5 gallon for longer than you think. They grow about an inch a month. So Id say about 4 months max because by then its will be about 4 inches and need more space.

This is just being realistic. Cause many people will be upset just the mere thought of that. But in reality that is what we call growing out. Nothing wrong with that. Just dont tell me your plans are to keep him in there forever cause then you dont deserve the fish

Reactions: cichlid tank

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

Very important to do research prior to impulse buying. If possible try to get a 75 gallon asap like Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane stated.
Do you even have a seeded(Cycled) Filter such as a sponge filter. I suggest you change water with Dechlorinator every day or I guarantee the little RBP will either be stunted or possibly not live long.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Welcome aboard

Very important to do research prior to impulse buying. If possible try to get a 75 gallon asap like Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane stated.
Do you even have a seeded(Cycled) Filter such as a sponge filter. I suggest you change water with Dechlorinator every day or I guarantee the little RBP will either be stunted or possibly not live long.
Agreed. I had a black rhom about the size of a quarter in a 5 gallon thought it would be a good grow out tank since they grow so slow. I didn't do enough water changes; found it dead one morning. Learning experience from over 27 years ago...wow time flies.

junior2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2012
bronx
Agreed. I had a black rhom about the size of a quarter in a 5 gallon thought it would be a good grow out tank since they grow so slow. I didn't do enough water changes; found it dead one morning. Learning experience from over 27 years ago...wow time flies.
I mean smaller tanks sure needs the water changes more often. But not changing it is not the tanks fault it’s the owner being careless.

but hey live and learn and get better. Thanx for sharing appreciate the piranha love

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store