How long do G. Tile Moray eels live?

Kinaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
CA
While they are not "monster fish", they are considered somewhat exotic. Anyone know how long their life span is, or kept one for several years? I'm wondering how long I have to enjoy with my G. Tile...I enjoy having him.

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
Dont know how long they live unfortunately because we have struggled to get ours to eat.What I do know is that they do better in brackish to marine for a longer life and the maximum size quoted on fishbase of 20" is wrong as our surviving one (that does eat) is just over 22" and is still growing.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Typically in captivity not very long. Larger Gymnothorax species can live over 20 years, smaller ones over 10. Definately best off in a species mild brackish (1.005) tank.

Morays are definately a "monster", you should see my 30" horned moray. It's so aggressive it will come out of the tank during feeding. I find it ironic that the "FW" morays are harder to keep than most SW species.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Looks like a monster to me

Kinaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2005
CA
I would love to see it, can you post a pic?

I've had my guy for over 2 years in a "mild brackish" tank...it started out heavily planted, which I think helped him feel more comfortable in eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store