How long does it take a male red texas to fertilize eggs?

RustyGrizz

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2020
Alberta
20200928_091027.jpg

So In a few posts down I was inquiring about breeding a pair of short bodied red texas in a 40 gallon and I was informed it might happen but there were precautions to take and look out for. So with info I gathered I went ahead and put the male and female in and to my relief there has been no aggression between the two and I have my first batch of eggs! My plan now is to remove both male and female and return them back to my community tank and allow the eggs to hatch. My main question is how long after eggs have been deposited does it take the male to fertilize? I don't want to remove too early but from what i could research it happens more or less immediately after eggs have been laid then mom protects and kicks him out? I also want to start treating the tank with 1/4 dosage of methylene blue to reduce chance of fungus? TIA

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The eggs must be fertilized within moments of being layed, normally males follow the female, as soon as they put down the eggs, the male spreads milt on them, if not, the shells harden and are sealed. Now that they are down you could essentially remove the male
I have had many cichlids spawn, and never used meth blue, there is a school of thought that meth blue can create more deformities.
If the female is with the eggs she will fan , to oxygenate them, and protect the young for a long time.
1601330934490.png
1601331024744.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store