HOW LONG DOES NTT TIGER LIVE WITHOUT FOOD?

ROY1204

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2018
toronto
I got a about 5-6" ntt tiger almost a month. IT is still shy and not eating whatever I gave. I finally kick my 2 Peacock bass out in my tank in the weekend. How long he can survive without food?

ROY1204

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2018
toronto
now is only one 8" indo tiger, one 9"-10" HBA, and one 6" FT but it separated in the weekend after got bite from someone. I may need to get rid of my HBA too since I am super fans of TIger.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
In my experience months.. I had a NGT around 5-6" about 5 years ago who refused anything that didn't have a pulse and it took a little over 2 months to get it onto even market shrimp. It's not too likely it will take that long for you but you never know. I generally adhere to the starvation method but you should always approach each situation differently and take all factors into account, for instance, does the NTT appear malnourished or unhealthy? If so you may consider getting it to eat most anything you can with the obvious exception of most life foods (other fish) to build it up and stabilize it nutritionally so to speak before attempting to strong arm.it i to eating certain prepared foods.

One successful method I've used for a number of datnoids has been using foods like crickets (gut loaded if possible) to encourage eating anything I specifically provide then slowing down frequency to encourage more aggressive surface feeding from the fish then occasionally tossing in pellets or whatever else it is I plan on keeping them on.

Hope some of this can be of help and if you have any more specific questions I'd gladly help if I can. Good luck.

Reactions: Matteus

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I will also say moving more aggressive feeders like the peacocks is a good idea as datnoids are generally more submissive and less aggressive eaters. In my mind most cases where a new datnoid enters a peacock bass's tank the datnoid isn't likely to be a regular eater right away being more of a sit back and observe/ambush predator.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
This is a bit embarrassing but I haven't been on the forums much in the last few years, could you refresh me on two things, HBA & FT?

Katie_Ca

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2018
GTA - Ontario, Canada
I got a about 5-6" ntt tiger almost a month. IT is still shy and not eating whatever I gave. I finally kick my 2 Peacock bass out in my tank in the weekend. How long he can survive without food?
My NTT that I got from the same LFS as you is now eating well. Here's what I did: I put it together with my baby motoro. Fed them everything except live feeders and the NTT didn't eat for two weeks, (but it kept watching the ray eat) only to hit frozen brine shrimp then spit it out. That was a good sign. I kept feeding that and eventually the NTT ate brine shrimp. The stingray was perfect because it gave the NTT an opportunity to eat before it hit the bottom, which was then cleaned up by the ray.

I used this same process for frozen shrimp and smelts.

This is my second NTT that I attribute the eating to my ray's "training".

What foods have you tried, and has it put anything in its mouth or spit out anything?

If he's too skinny, you'd have to force feed it (give pellets) or you would lose it.

ROY1204

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2018
toronto
I gave him few different kind of pellets, one of them my other indo tiger would eat. besides the pellet, I tried superworm (food for my HBA), bloodworm, and even small feeder.

ROY1204

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2018
toronto
he stayed in the bottom, and I sometimes see he did look up but never come to the top. so he just don't touch the food. shape is still ok. But I don't know how long it can last.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store