How long does prime last I'n water

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I am doing 50% percent water changes the old fashion way daily.it's a concern I could be over dozing my tanks with prime if it last longer than 24 hours.any body know how long prime will last

Mavrick813

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2010
Hamilton, NJ
It's my understanding Prime is active for about 24hours in your tank. I haven't ever seen anyone claim they OD their tank on Prime. But i'm fairly green to all this.

Subscribed to this thread, I'd like to know as well.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
That's my thought but I have read some people claim longer.what happens to the prime after 24 hours ,does it just desapate or will it stay active for longer.I contacted seachem they told me it will remove chlorine instant but did no say how long it lasts

Domesticsage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
Winnipeg
Depending on the volume of water you're doing in your water changes, you could always just get a large rubbermaid, fill it with water and let it sit overnight. The chlorine will dissipate and you can then use the water for your changes. You could also throw in a sponge filter (one that's been in the fish tank) and it will "seed" the water making the water change process gooder.

The LFS that I help out uses several 100gal tubs for this as dosing with a declorinator tends to get rather expensive when you're dealing with either a lot of water changes or a huge quantity of water.

philfreenode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
Washington
letting water sit out won't get rid of chloramines (often used these days in municipal water, which does not dissipate), copper, nickel, or lead that other heavy metals that could be in the water.. so prime is necessary.

i had to do 50% daily for a while with prime, nothing bad ever happened

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
yep i believe so

Laticauda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Prime is an amazing tool.

It continues to detoxify ammonia (up to 1ppm) for 48-24 hours depending on the body of water, the amount of Prime added, and the amount of ammonia.

You can overdose Prime up to 5 times (on the instructions it says to do this in such a case as nitrIte poisoning) with no ill effects. I wouldn't be worried about overdosing your fish with the Prime, just ensure there is adequate oxygenation happening with your water.

You can always use the tub/basin idea of "aging water" but instead of just letting it age, add Prime, and let it age for 24-48 hours before use. This would be rather tedious, and I believe unnecessary.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I think this would be a good question to ask Seachem. They have very good and fast customer response time. Please post the response if you ask.
I THINK their email is support@Seachem.com but you should double check their website.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store