How long for tank to cycle if using old water?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
pirahna1950;741772; said:
edited for inflammatory comment.
so this by your admission states that you are not a very good fish keeper

qumqats

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Sacramento
gallery.outel.org
Run the old canisters on the new tank so you have filtration happening with the bacteria in the old filters. Some of these will end up being transferred into the new filter. If you can't use the canisters at least place the media in the sump or tank. If you can't remove the media then wash as much of the sludge/gunk off as you can and place it in the new tank.

Gravel/sand vac the old tank and place all the sludge/water in the new tank.

Move all the old water into the new tank.

Move the old gravel/sand into the new tank. At least place some of it in the new tank/sump in a bowel or something to seed the new tank.

Move all the declarations/rocks/plants/etc from old into new.

The more surface area and objects you can move from the old to the new the better.

The yucky gunky stuff in the filter/tank/gravel/sand is GOOD for the new tank.

--

This is the kind of stuff I did with my latest upgrade from 30G to 60G and I had a 0day cycle.

--

Have fun with the new tank! :)

aquanaut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2007
Philly
Some of the oldtimers(pre-internet, yes there was such a time) I learned from said use old water... never made sense to me. 0-0 readings would give you no benefit. As far as the system being balanced that is what the filter is for... New water and a cycled filter + fish equals balanced tank if the bio-load is the same.

FWIW: Do you think cycle is a misnomer in an unplanted freshwater tank? The "Cycle" breaks at nitrate with nothing to use it...

Dr. Joe... denitrating is an interesting subject... thanks for the heads up!:)

Aussienative

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Australia
what is this "deleted deflamitory remark" crap? whoevers writting it, please pm me about it.

For the record, i did not call pirahna any names, i did not personally attack him, i did not swear etc....

This forum is slipping if comments or opinions like the the one i expressed are going to be deleted. :grinno:

Deleting what i said and filling it in with "deleted deflamitory remark" makes me look like a moron who has to get aggressive and attack someone to put my point across, which is definately not the case!

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
Good grief. I didnt think a topic like this could become such a debate. :popcorn:

The water helps. (a little bit)
Water holds SOME bacteria. But not enough to immediatly cycle your tank.
If all you add is cycled water, your tank will still go through a cycle.
But it will be shorter than if you used tap water.

The best way to have an immediate cycle is using completely established filter media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store