How long will a 6inch+ arowana out grow a 125g

pbass2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2019
I'm getting a silver aro to day and was wondering how long will it take for him to out grow a 125g grow out tank

pbass2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2019
I knew they grew fast but not that fast but he will be fine when he is in their for that period of time

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I knew they grew fast but not that fast but he will be fine when he is in their for that period of time
Hello; Fine is a questionable term. So much will depend on how you as the fish keeper alter the tank care as the fish grows. Right now you may get by with a 50% water change (WC) once a week. In a couple of weeks it may be 50% twice a week . In a month it may be 75% twice a week and so on. As the fish grows it's metabolic activity increases. My guess is being a fast grower adds to the metabolic bio load.
I also think these fish are messy eaters so that will add to the water quality issues.

pbass2005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2019
Thank you I love how different they are from other fish I gave him food last night it was so cool and thank you for telling me how much water change I have to do thanks

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thank you I love how different they are from other fish I gave him food last night it was so cool and thank you for telling me how much water change I have to do thanks
Hello; My suggestion is to try to keep the nitrates around 20ppm and us that as a guide for amount and frequency of WC.

Reactions: tlindsey

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hello; Fine is a questionable term. So much will depend on how you as the fish keeper alter the tank care as the fish grows. Right now you may get by with a 50% water change (WC) once a week. In a couple of weeks it may be 50% twice a week . In a month it may be 75% twice a week and so on. As the fish grows it's metabolic activity increases. My guess is being a fast grower adds to the metabolic bio load.
I also think these fish are messy eaters so that will add to the water quality issues.
Very true all what you said, though actually Arowanas aren't really messy eaters, in fact quite the opposite, they mostly swallow their food whole and and it's gone, they don't seem to like chewing on food. But yeah for sure metabolic load will increase exponentially with each inch grown, that 125 is definitely suitable only as short-term housing.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store